Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/15/2002 6:52:55 AM EST
Can anyone tell me what the "weep hole" in a lower is for? From what I've seen, it is too small for real drainage of anything. Not to mention, if you need to drain liquid from inside your receiver...then you have much more important issues...like finding another weapon that will fire! Anyway, please enlighten me.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:23:31 AM EST
I agree that it's probably fairly useless. The earliest ARs and M16s didn't have them (and Rock River still doesn't)but sometime in the mid '60s the Army decided it was necessary. I've got an old Ordnance Tech manual on the M16 that has an entry in it giving armorers instructions on how to drill the hole in the rib. It was probably an attempt to respond to some problem or other that they'd run into in Viet Nam.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:06:14 AM EST
Shamayim,
Thanks for the info. It is just what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:13:37 AM EST

The earliest ARs and M16s didn't have them (and Rock River still doesn't)

Uh, RRA DOES in fact have them. I have two RRA lowers that do. My brother has an ASA lower that doesn't, however.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:27:49 AM EST
Isn't the "weep hole" intended as a way to introduce lubricant into the pivot pin detent spring?

Or is that a trailer park legend?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:42:02 AM EST
Alas...shrouded in the myst of legend...we might never know! LOL
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:22:12 PM EST
J3, I don't know my friend, but I don't feel as bad that mine doesn't have one. Since there isn't like a million posts telling me how important it is, I guess it's not all that important! I will keep what you said in mind and not OVER OIL the detent...nor will I swim with it! LOL. Thanks to all who submitted an answer!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:25:04 PM EST
The reason why I am asking is...I just got an INCREDIBLE deal on a preban lower. If you ever see something being sold by Splicer...he's a GREAT guy to deal with. Anway, the lower doesn't have a "Weep Hole", but if it were all that important, I guess he would have had it done along with the small push pin conversion. He really knows his stuff about AR's!
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:29:43 PM EST
Well, maybe somebody's RR lower has the weep hole, but mine sure as hell doesn't nor did the four RR rcievers I looked at last weekend at the gun show. So, I guess some of us were luckier than others with their RR recievers.

The question is---who were the lucky ones, those with or those without----
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:07:54 PM EST

Well, maybe somebody's RR lower has the weep hole, but mine sure as hell doesn't nor did the four RR rcievers I looked at last weekend at the gun show. So, I guess some of us were luckier than others with their RR recievers.

The question is---who were the lucky ones, those with or those without

I'd say you're the odd man out. I handled a group buy last year of ten (10) RRA receivers. All had the "weep hole." A few months ago a friend and I purchased two (2) more RRA receivers. They also had the "weep hole."
Top Top