Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/12/2002 10:58:25 AM EST
Anyone out there know of a good site for Springfield "M1A" info. Something like what we have here. Would also like to learn info on pre ban advantages.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:54:38 AM EST
Splicer, try here: www.battlerifles.com/. Unless you want to replace the stock with a pistol grip variety, or have a bayonet lug for hand-to-hand combat, there is little advantage to a pre-ban M1A, at least IMHO. The most important feature is the flash suppressor, which is standard on all M1A rifles, pre or post. The only reason to go pre-ban is the need or desire to have multiple "evil" features on the rifle.

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:47:07 PM EST
The other, really good reason, is that preban has the best chance of containing USGI parts. Buying a postban that needs cast parts replaced with USGI can be expensive. USGI bolts have all but dried up this past year. Oprods are getting harder to find and more expensive. I suspect that the private armorers are not selling USGI parts but instead holding back more for rifle builds.

I've found the best experts on the M14/M1A are at www.jouster.com in the M1 Garanda/M14 forums. www.battlefifles.com seemed to me as being substandard in quality answers. I've found better quality answers on ar15.com forums even though it is not dedicated to the M14/M1A.

The trick is to found out where the competitive shooters are as these folks tend to have better gunsmithing experience. Which, I guess, is due to "competitive necessity".
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:23:25 PM EST
www.jouster.com/
An absolutely amazing site. Everything you ever wanted to know about the M1, M1A, M1903, and every major battle rifle used by US Forces....
Top Top