Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2002 3:41:21 PM EDT
I have a customer who wants to trade a Weatherby for $270 worth of merchandise (my cost). It is SS w/fiberglass stock, chambered in .308. It is two years old and American made. This man is 70+ years old and I have dealt with him for a while and I'm sure he took good care of his stuff. I'll check out the rifle tomorrow and if it looks good I think I'll make the trade. I've asked him three times if he was ok with the swap and he said yes so I don't feel guilty. It was his idea anyway. Now the question is, what's a decent scope for this rifle that won't break the budget? Three new rifles in four months has left me a little thin on disposable income.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 5:46:23 PM EDT
Try a Bushnell Trophy 3 X 9 X 40 for $109.00.  I've owned several of these over the years and they seem to have better quality than their price suggests.  The Trophy is a few dollars more, but it has a larger eyepiece, focus adjustment, better lens coatings, etc.  I used this scope to shoot 1/4-inch groups at 100 yards with 3 different rifles some years ago. Sure, I've owned Leopolds, and they're great.  But this is the best bang for the buck.  I have one now on my new Bushmaster AR-15 M4 carbine. They are extremely light weight.  I think mine runs 13 oz even with a 40 mm tube.

- Beldar
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 11:25:49 PM EDT
Nikon is FAR & away the best scope for under $400-500. Clarity sets them apart, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:52:13 AM EDT
I would suggest the Nikon Monarchs. 3-9x40. Can be had for 250 or so if u hunt around. They have a lifetime warranty and are extremeley clear.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:59:38 AM EDT
I myself am partial to Burris scopes. Check SWFA for a 3-9x40 or 3-9x50 in matte finish.
Around $200. Excellent fit/finish, great clarity, great warranty.

And the Sightrons look great - quite a good value. They tout top optical clarity (transmissiveness) and no-drift adjustments (zero doesn't change over magnification adjustment range, etc.)

I am also partial to ATN scopes. They are heavier though since they have a steel tube. But GREAT lenses, and I like illuminated reticle.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Top Top