Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 3/26/2009 1:43:10 AM EDT
Ok, just reviewed the past ten pages of this forum without finding a single thread mentioning the Watson uppers. Is that good or bad? Or in other words, the good, bad and ugly about these would most appreciated before I finalize a possible committment on one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:06:16 AM EDT
The Watsons Weapons upper shoots well but it is not a regular bolt action. You have to actually screw the bolt open and load a round and screw the bolt closed again to fire.

Ed
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:09:39 AM EDT
I know nothing about this weapon to comment on it's accuracy, reliability, etc.... If it's the one listed on the EE, it seems like a decent price. Look at the pics a bit though.....it just appears to me the barrel is pretty scuffed up which may give some indication of how it's been treated. I could be wrong, but that's how it appears on my screen.
Cheers,
cc
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:11:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AZMM:
Ok, just reviewed the past ten pages of this forum without finding a single thread mentioning the Watson uppers. Is that good or bad? Or in other words, the good, bad and ugly about these would most appreciated before I finalize a possible committment on one.

I'd avoid it. As Ed says, you have to break open the action and unscrew the bolt to put in another round. Figure about 1 round per minute and a totally new firing position for every round.

-David
Edgewood, NM
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:48:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AZMM:

Don't know what kind of deal you found on it, you can get a new upper for $1349.00 from Watsons Weapons. I saw one shot at a World Championship match years ago and it was the last rifle to finish shooting each relay.

Ed

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:21:22 AM EDT
I finally found a thread on these uppers on page 17 of this forum where it also dumps on them because of the screw bolt and the fact that they are extremely barrel heavy to the point its easy to destroy the lower receiver if you are not extraordinarily careful while breaking it open. Its no wonder I saw one of these uppers for under a grand a few gun shows back. I guess the plus side is that you will not burn lots of ammo through it - not really a plus now that I think about it, lol.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Top Top