Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 12/11/2003 1:42:05 PM EDT
I recently tried replacing the stock trigger with a Shilen trigger to improve the pull weight.  Install was no problem, but the moving the saftey from on to off will result in the firing pin slipping over the sear and a discharge if loaded.

No big deal, I dont load it until I'm ready to shoot.  Well, I found that if I slammed the bolt closed, the firing pin would also, slip over the sear.  Now I dont normally do this and it was just part of my safety check, but I found it troubling to think that I could have inadvertantly made the rifle fire before the bolt was completely closed.

So if youre changing out your trigger, PLEASE be careful.  I'm chicken, so I'll be sticking with the stock trigger.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I recently tried replacing the stock trigger with a Shilen trigger to improve the pull weight.  Install was no problem, but the moving the saftey from on to off will result in the firing pin slipping over the sear and a discharge if loaded.

No big deal, I dont load it until I'm ready to shoot.  Well, I found that if I slammed the bolt closed, the firing pin would also, slip over the sear.  Now I dont normally do this and it was just part of my safety check, but I found it troubling to think that I could have inadvertantly made the rifle fire before the bolt was completely closed.

So if youre changing out your trigger, PLEASE be careful.  I'm chicken, so I'll be sticking with the stock trigger.

Thanks for the info. Please post this over at Biggerhamer.net for all to read...
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you recheck your trigger after the 1st time? That's what happened to me and I had to readjust my trigger. If you don't it will keep firing if you slam the bolt.

Back off the adjustment screws and readjust it and then reinstall it, that's what I did and haven't had any problems since. Just remember that the safety no longer works (per Shilen) and if you do use the safety, make sure to hold on to it when you release it.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top