Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2011 5:09:49 AM EDT
I think I have read a post here awhile back on this but will go ahead and ask  just in case.
When SBRing a SIG 556, Would it be best to buy a pistol and swich the lowers.  Since the pistol lower is the older style will it fit on the newer classic upper?
And if this is the case could one just come in and  take the classic lower and put with the pistol upper?
And now hard would it be to place a stock on a pistol lower.   Trying to keep this as inexpensive as I can.  
Or would it be best to take a SIG Patrol and have the barrel cut down?   Which is not really what I want to do but....

I am also thinking of SBRing the 522 as well.   Will the above work with this rifle as well.  The rifle lower fit with the pistol upper?  Will do this first.   I already have a 556 and a 522 so am half way there.

Thanks in advance.

Really like the SIG SBR set up over alot of the others so wanted to try it out.   This will be my frist SBR set up so woll asking more questions lagter on.

Regards,
Stac
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I took a 556P and SBRed it.

It's no more difficult then unscrewing the end cap, adding a buffer tube and stock (plus the ATF $$$ and wait period)

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:06:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  
that looks like what I want to do.
Any special items needed for the stock set up?
Not sure what type of stock I will use.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thanks.  

that looks like what I want to do.

Any special items needed for the stock set up?

Not sure what type of stock I will use.

Once the end cap is removed from the back of the 556 pistol, I used an ACE M4-7 Extension Tube.

Once that's on, just slide on whatever stock you like. Some guys want folding stocks on their rifles. The set up above allows for a collapsible stock only.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I went the other way since I wanted a Swiss 550 side folding stock on mine. I put the lower from a patrol model on a pistol upper.

On the 522, there is no need to swap rifle and pistol lowers since they have the same lower. there is just a plastic end cap on the pistol lower where the stock goes. The 522 pistol takes the side folding 556/522 classic stock and can take the Swiss 550 series stocks as well.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:58:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Yours looks like I want mine to look like.   I am probably going to do the 522 SBR first.   Actaully just bought a 522 pistol to have something to start with.
That seems to be the easiest way to go on iether gun.     And I did find a place that has  the 552 look alike handgaurds and flash hider.   Definatley gives the rifle that look.
Now I just need to get my form 1 together.
If I like the way the 522 performs then I may do a 556 and then my Draco pistol.
Who's the best and cheapest to get the engraving done?
Thanks all.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure where you are in TX, but Ident Marking Services is located East of Dallas (you can also ship).  I am dropping a lower off next week so I cannot speak from experience but the reviews are good enough for me to give them a shot.  During my research I also found that many use Orion Arms.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#7]
On the sigs don't you have to engrave the upper since that's the registered receiver?

Doesnt really pertain to me, but I bought a factory 556 sbr and can't wait for the stamp to come back!
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

On the sigs don't you have to engrave the upper since that's the registered receiver?

Doesnt really pertain to me, but I bought a factory 556 sbr and can't wait for the stamp to come back!

Correct.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:08:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And I did find a place that has  the 552 look alike handgaurds and flash hider.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_45/345883_556_SBR_Handguard_comparison.html

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Good write up.  Was also looking at the MFI stuff.   And I knew they had a sthinner profile "plastic" but those clips were thin.   I wunder if they have beefed them up any.   Did you contact them about the 2nd set.   Might not hurt so they know the have a tru QC problem and not just a fluke.   The more info the manufacturer has the beter he can fix his product so he can stay in business.
But you have almost double in the true sig handguards with the cost of the handguards and the cost to have them cut down  as you do with the MFI handgaurds?
How much of a pain was it to remove the SIG factory flash hider and put the 552 style on?
Plus, doesn't the  SIG 556 pistol, which is more than likey what I will eventually use as the host SBR, have 552 type handguards.   I know the 522 doesn't as I have one of those.   But thought I saw a recent pic of the 556 p with 552 guards on it new from factory.

Anyway seeing these posts and pics,   I have got to get my form 1 sent in.

Again, great bit of info C_Swimm...   Much appreciate it.

Stac
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I talked with Julian about the tabs breaking off when I sent back the first set. He told me the SIG handguards had the same problem.

I think the MFI handguards would probably be plenty strong enough for the 522 since it's just a .22, but the 5.56mm seems to be a bit too much for them.

I love the MFI 552 style flash hider. Looks just like a 552 flash hider and does a very good job keeping the flash down. I never noticed any muzzle flash with it, but my AAC breakout comp has obnoxious flash and report.

The original SIG flash hiders can range from damn near impossible to fairly easy to remove. All the AR style bird cage flash hiders I have taken off SIG 556 rifles and pistol were fairly easily removed with a proper wrench and a little elbow grease. My 556 SWAT flash hider was a different story. I had the put the barrel in a vise, and use a large wrench with a piece of pipe on it for a cheater bar to get the flash hider off. Even then I had to use a torch to heat it up (not sure if that actually helped or not) and three tries before I was able to get it to break free. I literally was afraid I was going to twist the barrel. At one point I was moving my workbench across the floor too. I didn't see any signs of thread locker on it either.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top