Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2013 2:59:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/16/2013 4:20:02 AM EST by smokingun45]
I want to shorten the barrel on my Lyman Great Plains .50 caplock rifle. The rifle is heavy for hauling up the mountain and doesn't balance very well for me. I'm thinking maybe 6-7 inches should do it.

Any issues doing this? How much velocity per inch should I expect to lose?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 4:26:51 PM EST
BullBerry Barrel Works Click here
Bullberry makes custom Encore barrels in .50 cal musket and you can select profile and length but they still come with an accuracy guarantee. That would be my first choice.
If I had to guess Id say you will loose about 50 fps per inch so give it a try if you want but be sure you get the crown cut correctly after cutting the barrel off. Dont take it shorter than 16 in barrel because some LE officer who doesnt understand the difference might take you to jail.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:55:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2013 8:55:40 PM EST by ARMALITE-FAN]
wrong thread
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:46:55 AM EST
How do you plan on doing it? Hopefully by a professional gunsmith with a lathe who can cut and re-crown, and I am drawing a blank on what the process is called, but they will cut the rifling back a little bit to make loading easier. That's gonna bother me all day now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:48:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/23/2013 1:59:16 PM EST by smokingun45]
Yep, I'm going to re-crown the muzzle and perhaps add a 1/2" of freebore at the muzzle to make loading easier. I just wondered if anybody else has done this and what your impressions & experience was.

The reason I want to do this is I handled a Pedersoli/Cabelas .54 with a 20" barrel and it carried and pointed like an upland bird gun. I want to stick with .50, so I will just rework my Lyman to achieve a more mountain hunting friendly rifle.

I'm wondering how shortening the barrel by 8-9" will change velocity?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:49:19 AM EST
Oh, most certainly you'll lose velocity. How much exactly is hard to say. My educated wild assed guess says anywhere from 200 to 400 fps.

What you could look into doing, is buying a swamped .54 barrel blank for your rifle. The barrel blank is the same size, but the .54 is a tad lighter. The swamped barrel profile is one where material has been filed out of the middle of the barrel, leaving the breech untouched, and flaring some towards the muzzle to give the muzzle end a bit of extra weight for offhand shooting. A swamped barrel is the same length, but it's lighter and just plain old shoots better offhand as well.
Top Top