Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 6:51:18 PM EDT
Okay, I am bored with my Ar-15 and want a real mans gun, one that was considered by Gen. Patton as the greatest battle rifle ever yadda yadda yadda.

Here are my questions, I hope someone can help.

(1) As stated in my post I do not know much about these rifles, would like something new or as new as I can get it. From my understanding the M1's built by Springfield are the most popular using brand new barrels, receivers, and wood stocks. The rest of the parts are mil-spec, so does this mean they are used parts in good condition?

(2) If the following is true, should I be aware of any "bad batches".

(3) I see that the rifle is available in .308 and 30-06. should I just go with the original cartridge for simplicity in parts replacement and originality?

(4) What would be a price that is good?
Any other additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about making a trip there. Is this something I can pick up the same day as long as my background check goes through? It has gone through everytime so I dont see a problem.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Leave them new SA Garands alone. Get you a real USGI rifle. Do what Shotar said go to CMP.  You won't be sorry. It won't look new normally but it is sweet.................. WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It says that I must have a membership to a cmp affiliated club. Anyone list some websites I can go to for payment of this membership fee?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't have a club near you, just join the Garand Collector's Association.  It's $25 a year and you get a cool newsletter.  

Rich
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:21:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:20:53 AM EDT
[#7]
When you log onto CMP's site, click on "sales" and then "eligibility requirements" about half way down the page is "afiliated clubs" click on that to see if your area has one...Maybe one of our members could link it and put it up, I'm not exactly a computer genious and do not know how to !!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#9]
The most important thing to know, is that shooting a Garand is pure pleasure, low recoil, very good accuracy, range and power...you will own a piece of history...there are few rifles as satisfying to shoot as the Garand, and it is a simple technology almost any gun nut can grasp. A must have!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top