Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2002 6:22:32 PM EDT
Been working alot of overtime and I'm buying myself an early X-mas present. I want to build a 7.62x39 AR rifle on a post ban receiver. I want it to be as light and short (non-SBR) as possible.
I can get a Hesse stripped lower (plastic?) for $75. Is this worth it or should I get a RRA or an Oly? I've heard much Hesse bashing around here. I figured the composite lower would be lighter, am I wrong?  I plan to put a entry stock on it, but I'm still at a loss as to what brand upper I want. I know I want it to be a flattop (A4) upper.
Also, where do I get 7.62x39 hicaps? Can I use a regular USGI mag and modify the feed lips? I've been an AR owner since 92' but I've never built one. This should be fun! Can anyone point me in the right direction? I checked the DPMS website and they offer a bolt, BC and bbl, can I get this setup in a pre-made config?

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT. C'mon guys, I want to build a new toy but need some advice.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Biggest problem with 7.62 ARs is the magazines (or rather lack of them).  The only ones really worth a damn are the USA brank Hybrid (AK mags welded to AR towers).  You can't modify USGI magazines to work as hi-caps(due to the shape of the casing the magazine needs more of a curve).  USGI magazines however WILL reliably feed 5-8 rounds (load any more and follower will hang up).

Want it light?  Send it to Kurt's Kustom (in the Industry section) and he'll reprofile the barrel - that WILL reduce the weight and make it feel MUCH better.

Stay away from Hesse products.  Want a light lower then buy an OLY titanium lower (its a pretty penny) and use that RRA LE Entry stock.

To save a bit more weight use a Bushmaster Aluminum Free float tube instead of the regular handguards and barrel nut.

More weight saving measures:
1) Use a flattop and shave the front sight.
2) Use an OKO or Reflex for the sight (both are VERY lightweight).

If you really want irons then get an A1 type upper instead of the A2.  The A1 is lighter and the A2 elevation dial will be meaningless to the 7.62x39 round.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi-caps are a problem. The taper of the 7.62 round causes the round to nose dive after about 6-7 rounds in the mag. That's why AK mags are curved so much.  

The plastic Hesse receivers don't suffer the same quality problems as their other stuff. I would interested in knowing where you can get one for $75?

I recently bought a 16" HBAR flattop 7.62 upper from Model 1 Sales for $385 which included the bolt/carrier and charging handle. I have it mounted on a Cavalry Arms lower, and have put it on a fixed telestock postban lower. It is pretty light. I bought mine to hunt deer so hi-caps are not an issue with me.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hi-caps are a problem. The taper of the 7.62 round causes the round to nose dive after about 6-7 rounds in the mag. That's why AK mags are curved so much.  

The plastic Hesse receivers don't suffer the same quality problems as their other stuff. I would interested in knowing where you can get one for $75?

I recently bought a 16" HBAR flattop 7.62 upper from Model 1 Sales for $385 which included the bolt/carrier and charging handle. I have it mounted on a Cavalry Arms lower, and have put it on a fixed telestock postban lower. It is pretty light. I bought mine to hunt deer so hi-caps are not an issue with me.

Local gun shop that I used to work at has three stripped hesse lowers (plastic type). Gotta love that employee discount!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#5]
The 7.62 bolt is an enlarged 5.56 bolt face, so the lugs are weaker and occasionally break. Not frequent, but pack a spare if hunting oor taking only 1 gun to the range.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top