Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2002 5:13:05 PM EDT
 So do I, but then again, there is that gay little Klinton law in our way.  HERE'S THE IDEA:
A thumbhole, collapsible butstock.  Think about it- there would be no evil pistol grip, you would still get a good hold, and you could have a nice short, collapsible stock.  All of this, and you would stay legal.  

NOW, the PROBLEM- nobody makes the damned thing yet!  What do you guys think?  Are you getting my idea here or what?  
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The only design that ATF has said no to is the old thumbhole stock that was just a brass rod connecting the pistol grip and buttstock sling swivel.  It was not a good design, and did not at all resemble a thumbhole stock.  The newer one that I have seen is one soild piece, with a large area of plastic between the grip and butt.  I believe that is considered a thumbhole stock.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
That is the one that I was referring to, and I wish someone would make it in the collapsible variety.  I don't want to go the pre-ban route because I am not a rich sucker.  Ha HA

Really though, the entire setup shouldn't cost more than 90-110 bucks.  Much cheaper than paying the big bucks for a pre-ban.  If it were legal, what would you think about the design?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Brownell's lists two thumbhole stocks that are very new.  I'm sure that they are legal, but wouldn't bet my ass on it yet.  They look very much like stocks that have been approved in the past for other rifles (the 10/22).
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#7]
How does this work for ya?

$45 from www.zmweapons.com/index.htm

I assume it is legal on a postban (or else why the heck would they make it???), but you'd have to call them if you wanted to make sure.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#8]
HKocker, how would you go about shooting with that thing?  Is it somehow advantageous?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Question?  Why do you need a collapsible stock?  Storage?  Cramped transport?  What purpose does it serve in the way you use your rifle?  I find that for the most part, my collapsibles are always extended anyway.  The only exception is with entry armor and I then only collapse the stock 1 notch.  Just curious.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How does this work for ya?

$45 from www.zmweapons.com/index.htm

Man, that is one weird lookin' mofo. Maybe a case of the cure being worse than the disease? Just looks uncomfortable. Maybe if I tried it....
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's an idea I thought I would throw out. Couldn't you just block the first two positions on an M-4 stock so that it would be 'adjustable' rather then collapsable? Or the first three on a six position. Just an idea....
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure you have to be a LEO to get the hook. I sent them an e-mail and will let you know.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here's an idea I thought I would throw out. Couldn't you just block the first two positions on an M-4 stock so that it would be 'adjustable' rather then collapsable? Or the first three on a six position. Just an idea....

Because the BATF says that is still a telescoping stock.  You cant even fill all the holes and pin the stock in place.  If the tube started life as a 'collapsible' stock then the BATF always considers it 'collapsible' regardless of how much epoxy or how many pins were used.

Yeah its stupid, but that is their interpretation.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm sure you have to be a LEO to get the hook. I sent them an e-mail and will let you know.

I'm pretty sure that is not true.  They advertise this setup on their webpage under the LR300SRF which is the civie version.  

It is shown in the "post ban/folding stock kit" so I'm pretty sure it is legit.  Besides I can't imagine them marketing this 'grip' to anyone that could legally have any other alternatives (i.e. LE or Mil).

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top