Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2002 7:16:13 AM EDT
I want to sell some rifles I don't use.  What is the best way to sell legally out of state?  I don't have a FFL.  

What is the typical procedure for the guys posting in the equipment exchange?

Can I ship direct to a FFL for the buyer to pickup from?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Buyer has to send an ink copy of his dealer's FFL to you.  You then have to ship to his dealer.  

Handguns go next day air and long guns can go ground.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#2]
This may be long but this is the best satisfaction transaction I have had:
the buyer and I haggled over price for two days .
I took the rifle to an ffl that I know and trust(The Shooting Gallery in Boardman Ohio)
The shooting gallery called the buyer and described what he had.
When I got the Certified check I called the ffl and told him to ship it to the buyers ffl.
My ffl charged me $20 plus shipping which was $15 including insurance. This was included in the price of the rifle.
In this way the buyer and seller feel confident on what they are getting....pat
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Many dealers (FFLs) will only ship to/from another FFL.  For instance, when the dealer I work with receives a firearm, if it is not accompanied by a signed FFL copy from the sender he will return the firearm immediately to the sender.

For you, this means you need to find an FFL to ship the gun for you.  Not everyone follows this rule, and I'm not even sure it is a legal requirement, but you should check it out.  ATF red tape keeps many FFL holders a little justifiably paranoid.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#4]
marv
That is silly
Only the receiving person needs an FFL.
Sender does not.
cpermd
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#5]
1. Request an ink-signed copy of FFL from buyer. You will be shipping to the address shown on FFL.
2. Get the zip code for the FFL's location. The post office can tell you the shipping cost for Priority Mail to that location if you provide the weight of the package. Also ask for price of insurance for the amount needed.
3. Request payment in the form of a postal money order.
4. Pack the firearm well in an unmarked box. The post office does not need to know what is in the package. Do not send ammunition or illegal firearms. Make sure that the firearm is legal where it is being shipped to.
5. For 40¢ you can get a confirmation number when you ship. E-mail that number to the buyer so that they can track the package on the USPS website.
6. You must ship to an FFL, but do not need to ship from an FFL. Some FFL holders are uneasy about receiving firearms from non-FFL holders, so check in advance.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top