Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2002 5:28:53 PM EDT
Yup, it's that time . . . time to buy a gun safe.

My local shop is recommending a "Heritage" brand safe.  I was wondering if anyone had experience with that brand, or other brands they like.

Thanks, -Phil.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
....Good quality safe with slightly less of a warrantee than a Cannon safe.

Nice interiors.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Phil, where do you live? I'am also looking into a safe. I can't find a place that has them on display near me on Long Island. I might be taking a ride into New Jersey where there is a sporting goods store that has alot of them on display, I was told by a friend.

Pretty Sure I'am going with a Cannon safe. I found that everybody has an opinion on which company you should go with, people told me to go for Amesec, Libery, Cannon, etc. I guess you can't go wrong with any of the majr companies.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:33:21 AM EDT
[#3]
i have the largest Fort Knox........., but !!!

belive me you can not get as many rifles in it that they say you can, my 36 (?) gun safe is now filled wyth only 22 long guns..., ARs take up a lot of space..., especially when a 30 rounder is installed !!

all my guns in my safe are also fully loaded, just click off safety & shoot !!!!!!1
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm hearing go TL30 from some sources.  Anyone bought a jeweler's safe vs. a gun safe?
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Phil & Palmer, have you checked out this place ?

Rapid Alarm and Security Corporaton
39 Manly Place
New Hyde Park, NY 11040
(516)488-7044
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rapidalarm/info.html

they are out on the island, they carry amsec and gardall, their prices look good
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i have the largest Fort Knox........., but !!!

belive me you can not get as many rifles in it that they say you can, my 36 (?) gun safe is now filled wyth only 22 long guns..., ARs take up a lot of space..., especially when a 30 rounder is installed !!

all my guns in my safe are also fully loaded, just click off safety & shoot !!!!!!1

You have 22 fully loaded rifles in your safe ? jc man.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi Phil and Palmer I am also looking for a safe. I need one to get an FFL and have been looking around. I am going to check the place in New Hyde Park. I don't know where you guy’s live, but I'm not to far from there. If you want I will see what info they have and send it to you. I am going to go on Friday or Saturday.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Guys, i'm looking for a safe in the N.Y. area as well, so let me know what you find at New Hyde Park, like if they allow pick up to save on shipping, maybe if 4 or 5 of us want one we can get a deal. Also this place in Essex Conn, (not that far away) has oxbows for 790.00

http://www.thesafesource.com/oxbow_safe.htm
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a 17-gun Fort Knox that just fits in a standard closet. The ar's DEFINATELY take up more room because of the pistol-grip handles but I still managed to shove 18 guns in it. The only drawback is the door; it only swings open 90 degrees which is a real pain in the butt if you have it in a closet. Look for one that the door swings all the way open to 180 degrees if you can find one. You'll be thankful down the road, believe me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Just reading the materials floating around out there, I think a TL30x6 is where you need to be.  The gun safes are pretty easy to open with a hammer and a sawzall.

I have about a $40K and growing Class III collection I need to guard and I'm thinking Gardall TL30x6.  Anyone have an opinion?
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I went to buy a jewlers safe for $40 from a woman. This thing was in a basement with only bilco doors. Me and three friends couldn't get this beast out. I Never got it out. The only downfall was that she didn't have the combo.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Phil & Palmer, have you checked out this place ?

Rapid Alarm and Security Corporaton
39 Manly Place
New Hyde Park, NY 11040
(516)488-7044
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rapidalarm/info.html

they are out on the island, they carry amsec and gardall, their prices look good

Thanks, I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Guys, i'm looking for a safe in the N.Y. area as well, so let me know what you find at New Hyde Park, like if they allow pick up to save on shipping, maybe if 4 or 5 of us want one we can get a deal. Also this place in Essex Conn, (not that far away) has oxbows for 790.00

http://www.thesafesource.com/oxbow_safe.htm

One way or another you'll have to pay for shipping. Whatever store you make the purchase, they'll add more $$ to the cost of the safe to cover their costs of the delivery to their store, so it's passed onto the consumer. PLUS TAX, remember!

I may be making the puchase from one of the website below. They'll ship to your house for about $250-$300 depending on the wieght and no tax.

www.agenglish.com

gunsafesales.com
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a Champion Crown series 35 on 2001 closeout...sweet deal, like 500 off.  Anyway, it's a nice safe.  Good relockers, thick steel, great finish, nice modular interior.  The Champion will set you back a little less than some of the others and it's a good one.  Now...if I could have afforded what I wanted, was gonna buy a Fort Knox Guardian.  Very nice safe, if ya got the scratch!  Anyway...yeah most safes, even the "BEST" safes, can be opened pretty quickly if the thief is equipped to do so.  I like my Crown because it's the heaviest series Champion makes, so turning it over to get chopping on the back is harder, plus it will soon be bolted down.  I figure the heavier the better, as long as you don't move often...LOL.  Here are a couple of links to good safe info, hope it helps.  Enjoy your new safe.

www.recguns.com/XIIIB1b.html

www.swiftsafes.com
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 5:33:33 AM EDT
[#15]
YES Phila.GunMan,

i have ALL my guns fully loaded at ALL tymes, even those that i have secreted away in some of the out buildings here on the ranch....., i have no children (@ home) there is only my wife & i live here, we occasionally have visitors from down south & a few shots fired safely into a nearby hillside usually sends them in another direction..., i belive the word has gotten around to steer clear of this area.......

i do NOT play games wyth my wifes & i safety, if someone is serious about releiving us of our freedom, liberty & safety they better be prepared to accept the consequences.........

Link Posted: 3/14/2002 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#16]
AMSEC Sierra TL30 is looking attractive. Anyone have one of those?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top