Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2007 8:57:38 AM EDT
I did a search on "22LR" in this forum and didn't get any hits, so here goes ...

What is the best "economy" Title-1 (non-SBR) 22LR long-gun to suppress and what's the best barrel length - either bolt-action or semi-auto?
- Ruger 10/22
- Savage .....

- 16"
- 18"

Want something that I can stick my Gemtech Hornet (standard thread-on can) on just to go plinking that won't cost a lot, but will suppress well.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Check your local gun/pawn shop.
Lots of used .22s that can be had for just more/just less than $100.
Found a scoped Marlin (older tube fed semi, Model 60?) with a well made scope/mount for $95.
Going to pick it up to use as a suppressor host.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Check your local gun/pawn shop.
Lots of used .22s that can be had for just more/just less than $100.
Found a scoped Marlin (older tube fed semi, Model 60?) with a well made scope/mount for $95.
Going to pick it up to use as a suppressor host.

Thanks ...

How big (thick) does the barrel have to be to be able to be threaded?

I see Walmart has new Mossberg semi-auto 22LR's for sale for $92 .....

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked my blued Ruger 10/22 up from a local "sports and outdoors" place for $179.
the Ruger is arguably the most easily accessorized gun around (this side of an AR) and is reliable as all hell.
thread the barrel for $65 or whatever and you're good to go.

personally, I've got over a grand in mine (nothing is factory except the receiver now), but its the most used rifle I have.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my 10/22s!  I was slow to get one (I got my first this spring) but I am up to three now and I want to build at least 1 more.

My "cheap" supressed 10/22 is just a stock 10/22 with a cheap Bushnell 4-12x40AO (Wal-Mart Special Scope).  I replaced the barrel with a 1:16 threaded tactical inovations one www.tacticalinc.com/threaded-twist-ruger-1022-barrel-p-534.html and I use it with a TAC-65 supressor.

This rifle is more the quiet enough and I have... ummm...  taken care of some pests around the house without the neighbors ever noticing.  I also use this same supressor on my Walter P-22.

My other 10/22s consist of a 10/22 with a Norrell Integral Supressor (More money but really quiet) and a Norrell Trigger pack installed in one of the NFA length Krinker plinkers.

NOW, let me be clear...  I DO NOT LIKE THE KRINKER PLINKER SETUP!  Cleaning that gun is a royal PITA and I don't run it with a supressor as the supressor just makes the gun get dirty faster.  To pull the bolt to clean a Krinker Plinker you have to tear the whole thing down and it really sucks.  Worst investment I have made in years and I have not decided what I can do about it yet (have tools - will hack!).

Good Luck, but I really like the 10/22 and it is modular and easy to customize much like the AR-15 which I really love!  My next 10/22 will be a precision rig for shooting flies.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How big (thick) does the barrel have to be to be able to be threaded?

Shouldn't really matter as most anything can be done using an adapter.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#6]
How does the 10/22 work with sub-sonic ammo ...... cycling ...........

One thing with a bolt-gun, I can use it to hunt, also ....

No hunting with semi-auto rifles here in PA ....
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#7]
all the 10/22's I've seen do pretty well with subsonic ammo. mags can be finicky .

I'm looking for a 77/22 but they seem to be kinda scarce on the used market. I take it there good guns.

we have a savage .22mag that is a pretty good shooter . one in .22lr should make a cheap lightweight bolt hunting gun.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would stick to magazine-fed .22 rifles -- in many cases, the tubes of tube-fed .22s will not clear the suppressor. So every time you reload, you have to remove and replace the can.

D'oh!
Thanks for the heads up tony, I will have to check on the rifle I'm looking at.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I use remington sub sonics in my 10/22 with an Outback II with no issues. I also have a Ruger 77/22 that is scary quiet with the same ammo and can.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How does the 10/22 work with sub-sonic ammo ...... cycling ...........

mine cycles rem subs and cci standards no problem
(16.5" tac sol barrel and warlock suppressor)

fyi, there's a "bolt lock" being made and talked about generously on the rimfirecentral board.  for the Ruger 10/22.  would go a long way to making it silly quiet.
personally, put a weaponkraft buffer in the back, and action noise gets cut down quite a bit that way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#12]
CZ  note the thread protector:

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I like my savage MKII.  You can get the sporter bbl for 120 or the bull bbl with accutrigger for ~$200.  It is bolt.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Given the same ammo, screw-on suppressor, and barrel length/contour, is there one bolt-action rifle that is quieter than others or are they all about the same?

How about "Hollywood" quiet?

I believe that I'm going to go with a bolt-action and want the quietest possible set-up ..... without breaking the bank ...............

Do all bolt-actions seal-up the breech about the same or some tighter??????

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My AAC integral 'Chechmate' was built with a CZ 452 receiver. It's truly "Hollywood quiet".

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Browning Buckmark and a couple 10/22s for semi and a Ruger 77/22 for Bolt.

If you ask me anything over the legal minimum is unneeded weight.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Savage MKII $105 from Walmart. The whole package with the threading (ADCO), scope and rings is about $250. It truly is Hollywood quiet with the AAC Pilot and Aguila SS ammo, and I never use the term "Hollywood Quiet".

USNCORPSMAN

Savage MKII with AAC Pilot (This combo is DAMNNNNN Quiet)

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#18]
i second the savage for a suppressed bolt gun, i boughht mine for 200 "hvy bbl" threaded locally and total was about 240 minus the scope "$70 wallmart"

sub 1/4 moa at 50 yds 10 shots off a bench into a dime size hole

as far as bbl oal anything 16" or more is good and un noticable, also wolf match 22 is by far the best subsonic ammo i have found accurate as heck and $25 for 500

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I would characterize the Ruger 10/22 as hollywood quiet too but certainly a bolt gun is quieter still.  Adding the runner buffer to the 10/22 really cuts down on the bolt clank (that is the loudest sound you hear).

I have a Remington 541T-HB and I want to get that barrel threaded for the supressor as well.  I have just not been anxious to do it as that gun shoots really great but I have read that it is legal to use a supressor to hunt in PA so I am seriously considering threading it to allow me to hunt squirrels.  

Then again, I will use the 10/22 at the dump as I have a picatiny scope mount and a Gen 1 Night Vision scope which should be a hell of a lot of fun picking off field rats.  I have not been in years but the last time I went we shot something like 3-dozen rats in a few hours.  I just moved away and lost track of the guy that was friends of the owner that let us shoot.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:03:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Ordered a Savage Mark-IIF (synthetic/sporter-barrel/Accu-Trigger) for $140 today.

With transfer, tax, scope, and threading, it should come to about $250.

Going to have it cut down to about 16.5" so that with the suppressor it will come back up to the factory 21".

Anybody see any problem with making it this short when it comes to suppression... with 22LR, it shouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#21]

semi-auto: ruger 10/22. you should already have two or three of those anyhow, but if you don't, pick one up and have the barrel threaded. good, reliable gun, with lots of options for parts out there.

bolt-action: don't really know. my one and only bolt-action firearm is a CZ452 American. it came with a 20" barrel that i had cut and threaded to 16.25" and 1/2X28. i didn't wan't the one that comes threaded because, even though it's called the "American" it's threaded euro, so you'd need an adaptor made to use your suppressor on it. nice gun overall, but i'm not completely happy with it. it was a bitch to find rings that fit the rail (cz says 11mm for all their guns... EXCEPT the american which is 3/8. only it's not 3/8's since they measure their bases differently, so it's actually 13mm. unfortunately, the only set i could find wasn't high enough for my bolt handle to clear my optics...), and i've had to file my mag down for it to fit the gun it came with. otherwise, you couldn't remove it once inserted... also, you'll never be able to find extra mags for it.

look into a ruger 77/22. they can be had in a ton of configurations, they are much easier to mount optics on, spare parts are easy to find, and [i beileve] mags are common with the 10/22.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My AAC integral 'Chechmate' was built with a CZ 452 receiver. It's truly "Hollywood quiet".

i20.tinypic.com/2ci8t43.jpg

...must have.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top