Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 7:46:31 PM EDT
What's the best folding stock out there for a 10/22?  I've been told it's between the Choate folder and the Butler Creek folder.

No one seems to prefer the Ramline folder.

What do you say..?

Thanks!

Mike
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Hands down the Butler Creek is the best
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Buttler creek...I second that!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:43:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for BC.

Bang
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Butler Creek.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
another vote for BC
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Made my decision today!

I hit the local fun show (Crossroads of the West, Phoenix AZ) and quickly found four different 10/22 folding stocks.  (Url is there for a pic if anyone is unfamiliar with the brand.)

1.  Butler Creek  www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=22971029
2.  Ram-Line  www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0200/265.htm
3.  Choate  www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=22763118
4.  Odd underfolder of an unknown manufacture  (Note: It looks sort of like this Universal M1 folder except smaller for the 10/22 and it had a front wood vertical foregrip.)  www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/2400/2454.htm

Didn't find the stock I really wanted to see-- an original Feather Industries Falcon Folder.  Oh, well-- considering they went out of business in 1987...  

First I checked the underfolder-- when folded, you touch the metal buttplate.  I'm in AZ- this can be an "unique environment" for firearms.  Metal left in the sun for 15-20 min heats up dramatically in the summer when it's 105+ out-- enough that you'll hear the hiss of water boiling away if you squirt the metal with a squirt bottle!   Thus, underfolders HURT.  In addition, the wire folding part was FLIMSY.  I continued walking.

I didn't like the Ramline- it was solid, but just wasn't comfortable for me.  Back to the aisles.

The Butler Creek was a good looking stock.  It was light, had checkering, and didn't look like it'd break easily.  Price wasn't all that bad either.  Made a mental note of the least expensive NIW one ($65) and continued onward.

...then I handled the Choate.  I found the only Choate 10/22 folder at the entire show (this was a four room show- relatively big) and it was STAINLESS AND NEW.  The arm locked SOLIDLY open and SOLIDLY closed-- no wobbling whatsoever.  Now, the Butler Creek doesn't wobble much at all-- but I found Butler Creek to Choate was like going from a standard CAR stock to a Magpul collapsable.  The cheek weld area was solid polymer versus metal tubing-- see above for a discussion of why this is important down here.  I also liked the buttpad better.  On the negative side, the Choate is heavier than the other three stocks (maybe only a few ounces more than the Butler Creek) and was the most expensive of the lot at $110.00.

In the end, the Choate came home with me.  Your advice was on target-- the Butler Creek is definitely a fine stock and would have done fine for me.  Saving $45.00 wouldn't have hurt either.    But in the end, I preferred the Choate for the reasons listed above.

If you're ever in AZ or I'll be in your neck of the woods, let's compare folders!

Mike
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone thought of making their own? I would imagine using an AK under folder then cutting the original butt-stock off the 10/22 stock and fitting the AK under folder might work. Also what about a collapsible MP-5 stock?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Butler Creek
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:07:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Anyone thought of making their own? I would imagine using an AK under folder then cutting the original butt-stock off the 10/22 stock and fitting the AK under folder might work. Also what about a collapsible MP-5 stock?

I like your idea...

I don't have a 10/22 as the ban caused insane prices on mags making this too expensive to properly equip.  Now I have the 10/22 on my top 10-to get/build list...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm seriously considering adapting the side folder from my AMD-65 kit (going to use a conventional rear trunnion & fixed stock) to one of my Ruger 10-22s.  

My other 10-22 has (since '91) a Choate folder.  Very nice stock.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm seriously considering adapting the side folder from my AMD-65 kit (going to use a conventional rear trunnion & fixed stock) to one of my Ruger 10-22s.  

My other 10-22 has (since '91) a Choate folder.  Very nice stock.  

While one part won't be an issue, remember that '89 "parts count" crap still applies.  

Mike
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't imagen that being an issue with a 10/22, seeing its not an Assualt Rilf and he would be making the stock, thus it would be all US made.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Can't imagen that being an issue with a 10/22, seeing its not an Assualt Rilf and he would be making the stock, thus it would be all US made.

I think he was referring to the AMD-65 build, not the 10/22.  

FWIW prebans, like most above I would have suggested Butler Creek too - had one for years and it's been great.  But it sounds like you got what you wanted - congrats!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the input.....

I picked up a BC folder, stainless, for $87 shipped.  Its on it's way.  Looked at WW today for a stainless 10/22 and all they had was a 20" wood stock for $208.  The guy behind the counter was clueless on if he could order a 16", said he lost his order book.  I'll have to check other WW's around town.

Now to wait for the 50 round drums to drop in price...Wish they had a 10/22 Beta-C
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#15]
where did you get your folder from?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input.....

I picked up a BC folder, stainless, for $87 shipped.  Its on it's way.  Looked at WW today for a stainless 10/22 and all they had was a 20" wood stock for $208.  The guy behind the counter was clueless on if he could order a 16", said he lost his order book.  I'll have to check other WW's around town.

Now to wait for the 50 round drums to drop in price...Wish they had a 10/22 Beta-C

87 for a stainless BC folder is an EXCELLENT PRICE if it's new-- decent enough if it's used but functional!  I just got an email from Butler Creek that their retail for a SS 10/22 folder will be $113.00!  

Drums won't drop in price-- at least I seriously doubt it.  I picked up two marked LEO drums from a seller for $59 each and he said that $89 seemed in line with production and cost increases.  (At least he didn't see it as profiteering-- he figured that petroleum price increases were affecting the plastics market negatively.)

(shrugs)

Either way, SOLID JOB with the folder!

Mike
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't think the Ramline is the best, but I've had one since way before the ban. The nice thing about them is that they are light weight.  Below is a link to my cut down Ramline folder.

http://community.webshots.com/user/zius100

Also, I think it is just a matter of time before we start seeing hi-cap 10/22 mags and folding stocks in regular sport shops like Bass Pro, K-Mart, Walmart, Gander Mountain etc.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't think the Ramline is the best, but I've had one since way before the ban. The nice thing about them is that they are light weight.  Below is a link to my cut down Ramline folder.

Also, I think it is just a matter of time before we start seeing hi-cap 10/22 mags and folding stocks in regular sport shops like Bass Pro, K-Mart, Walmart, Gander Mountain etc.

...that's the WEIRDEST setup I've seen in a long time...  Reminds me of the old collapsing survival rifle.....

Neat, though!  That also would have gotten around our old ban here in the USA.

Out of curiousity, why'd you ditch the pistol grip?

Mike
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#19]
i've been using a buttler creek for about 12 years.  beat the hell out of it and never had a problem.  of course my 10+ year old mags are worn out.  i plan on replacing them asap.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...that's the WEIRDEST setup I've seen in a long time...  Reminds me of the old collapsing survival rifle.....

Neat, though!  That also would have gotten around our old ban here in the USA.

Out of curiousity, why'd you ditch the pistol grip?

Mike

Actually I took off the grip to use on one of my AR15s. The Ramline grip is actually an AR grip. It is very comfortable and has a little door on the bottom for storage. Then when I had the idea to make a compact lightweight pack rifle, I decided that weight savings was more important than comfort so I just left the grip off.

I've since put a regular A2 grip back on since I don't take it backpacking much anymore.

That's the cool thing about 10/22s, there is a ton of accesories for them. You can go from hi-tech target, to plinker, to mini assault rifle to bare bones pack rifle. All with the same action.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Are these folders fit standard barrels only?  How about suppressed barrels?

You've got to inlet the thing for a bull barrel or an integral suppressor.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top