Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 11:31:17 PM EDT
Looking for a 9mm rifle and wanted to get opinions on your choice for an MP5 clone.

Who's the best?

Vulcan?
    Bobcat?
    Someone Else?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Not Vulcan.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#2]
BOBCAT WEAPONS.

I am very pleased with my BW89PDW. Unlike the Vulcan MP5 look-a-likes the Bobcats are true HK Clones utilizing the same delayed roller lock bolt system that the original MP5's use.

The welds are clean and neat (no slag) and the finish smooth and solid. My BW89 is super reliable, even when using different types of magazines and bullets. Bobcat also offers a Lifetime Warranty to boot. Interchangeability between Bobcat and HK parts have proven to be very good, as all of the HK parts I've bought fit perfect on the BW89.

I highly recommend Bobcat Weapons and their HK MP5/MP5K clones.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
stay away from vulcan.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:33:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Definately Bobcat.  I have a few of their models and they are all great copies of HK rifles.  Clean welds, good parts and straight/consistent shooters.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#5]
You have 2 choices, and neither of them are Vulcan.

1) Bobcat is the only game in town for an assembled HK94 clone.  They are the only company that SW will sell their receivers to (they are related).

2) Find a SW receiver and a parts kit and have someone build you a clone.  Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms does excellent work, and there are a few others.  Todd Grove at ORF did some work for me, and I'm very pleased, although he is getting out of the custom work, and focussing on poduction.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#6]
A lot of folks like Bobcat, and all of problems people have reported could be fixed, either at home or by a HK smith.

Vulcan's aren't even HK94 clones. They're blowback. It gets worse from there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That explains the cost delta between BW and Vulcan.  

What's the issue with Ohio Rapid Fire?  Are they building HK94 clones or just assembling parts?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:33:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That explains the cost delta between BW and Vulcan.  

What's the issue with Ohio Rapid Fire?  Are they building HK94 clones or just assembling parts?

From what I understand is they are assembling HK type weapons using HK parts and Maylaysian and Vector Arms recievers. They offer a one year warranty on these guns.

As far as their MP5 "clones" I looked into them but decided to go with Bobcat for a couple of reasons: Better warranty and the Bobcat already came with a paddle type magazine release. The ORF MP5 ends up costing as much as a Bobcat with a paddle release, but still doesn't have as good a warranty.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Brugger & Thomet BT96
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Brugger & Thomet BT96

Yeah, we wish  

If only it were importable  

I still cannot figure out why a US company cannot get HK, or licensed, tooling here for a decent price.

Lucky Europeans  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Love my Bobcat.  I'd send a pic but it's getting circumcised as we speak.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#12]
WHAT ABOUT BRUGGER AND THOMET OR EVEN OBERLAND ARMS IN GERMANY......
DSA COULD HAVE A DAM GOLD MINE IF THE WOULD START INPORTING WHAT EVER PARTS , THAT BT OR OBERLAND  COULD SHIP...
BT AND OBERLAND , HAVE GIVEN ME THE RUN AROUND ON PARTS.
I WOULD GIVE A LEFT NUT IF EATHER ONE OF THOSE COMPANIES WOULD TAKE MY MONEY....
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
DSA COULD HAVE A DAM GOLD MINE IF THE WOULD START INPORTING WHAT EVER PARTS , THAT BT OR OBERLAND  COULD SHIP...
I WOULD GIVE A LEFT NUT IF EATHER ONE OF THOSE COMANIES WOULD TAKE MY MONEY....

The thing is, for the most part, parts aren't an issue.  Receivers are.

If B&T or Oberland produce receivers, they'd be unimportable, because an MP5 clone, or really, just about any subgun, isn't a "sporting" firearm.

Anyhow, I'll throw my vote at Bobcat.  I got mine, it works quite well.

I have two issues with it that aren't majorly affecting anything, and will end up getting tweaked later:

1> The magwell is snug.  You have to rock the magazine a wee-bit to get it to pop in and lock.
2>The paddle mag-release is flappy-floppy.  This is apparently a common complaint about this part on the SW and BW HK-94 clones.  Apparently easy to fix by replacing with an HK part?

Anyhow, whatever issues people may have with the Bobcat gun, I can't comment on all of them.  Mine looks great, mine works, and, probably best of all, mine was in my dealer's hands within about 2-3 weeks of ordering.

When/if anyone builds a competing receiver, I'm sure that kit builds from it will be quite nice, possibly even better than my BW5-FS.

I might even buy one - but, I'm impatient.  I wanted my gun now, not 6-12 months (or more) from now (given receiver production times and actual rifle assembly times).
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I WOULD GIVE A LEFT NUT IF EATHER ONE WOULD HELP ME OUT.......
P.S...
I SPELL LIKE CRAP....
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Uhhh...you just posted that, dude...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Holy crap I've been at ARFC for ever and just now discovered this.

anyway, this RANGE REPORT might interest some of you.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=361733

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:08:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top