Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 4/20/2016 10:54:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 10:54:55 AM EST by Eric802]
Hi, I went to a gun show the other day and got a decent deal on some never fires LC 5.56. Mixed years all trimmed by the seller. The insides look clean but the outsides are gross. Oil film of unknown composition. What has anyone else used to clean or decrease these. It's a shame I can't retumble them, that would work in a jiffy. I thought just 00 wool but that would suck 500 rounds later.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:54:17 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:09:42 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:30:41 AM EST
Post some pics. Are they primed?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:16:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 1:18:16 PM EST by drfroglegs]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Doesn't make sense to trim brand new cases and sell them.

They are normally sold as is and buyer does the case prep.

If they were trimmed with a Dillon trimmer, case lube would be needed.

But why would you leave the lube on and sell them?

I would question they were brand new cases. It the primer crimp still there?

Welcome to Arfcom and the Reloading Forum.

View Quote

I agree with this as well, I think you were lied to.

1) why would you size or trim new brass?
2) why would you have mixed headstamp if you bought them new.

Sounds like he is selling once fired brass that he prepped for you. Post some picks and we can help you out, mainly the primer pocket area.

As far as removing the reside you can make up a mixture of lemishine and water and just soak them for a few minutes and it should shine them right up. If they doesn't work, you will have to wet tumble them with stainless steel pins.

Welcome to the forum!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:30:16 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Doesn't make sense to trim brand new cases and sell them.

They are normally sold as is and buyer does the case prep.

If they were trimmed with a Dillon trimmer, case lube would be needed.

But why would you leave the lube on and sell them?

I would question they were brand new cases. It the primer crimp still there?

Welcome to Arfcom and the Reloading Forum.

View Quote

I would be curious to if there is a crimp or not.

If there isn't a crimp, that should mean 2 things right?

1. True virgin, because the crimp is added after putting the primer in.
2. Once fired, and processed removing crimp.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:43:07 PM EST
They all still have crimps. Some circle some peg type. It looks like all of it was trimmed down to min trim legth 1.75. Idk why he would waste his time doing this but oh well
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:45:00 PM EST
According to the "guy" it was from the military with the original primers. Does the military dump primmed brass onto the market? Weird gunshow sellers
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:10:02 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:28:28 PM EST
Seems shady. Sounds like range pick ups. Sorry to say seems lioe.you got.screwed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:41:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By Markp86:
Hi, I went to a gun show the other day and got a decent deal on some never fires LC 5.56. Mixed years all trimmed by the seller. The insides look clean but the outsides are gross. Oil film of unknown composition. What has anyone else used to clean or decrease these. It's a shame I can't retumble them, that would work in a jiffy. I thought just 00 wool but that would suck 500 rounds later.
View Quote

How do you know it is virgin?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:28:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 7:33:23 PM EST by Markp86]
No way to know. Going by what he said. It was a cheap way to bulk up my brass bin. I wouldn't even care if it was once fired. But he has to be somewhat honest. I mean how could it be crimped. I mean crimped! With live unspent primers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:47:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 7:51:40 PM EST by Markp86]

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:54:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 7:58:05 PM EST by drfroglegs]
Looks like pulls to me. So he basically buys loaded ammo, pulls the bullets and sells the bullets and cases and can potentially make more than the loaded ammo.

There is a very clear primer crimp present, which means it is NOT once fired. It is in fact new brass.

I'm not sure why he would trim the cases unless he was trying to remove the bullet crimp (to make it look better). That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I wouldn't worry about cleaning the outside I would just wipe them off and shoot them.

After you once fire them then you can do the full case prep.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:34:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:50:43 PM EST
Looks to me like a debur and chamfer is also needed.
Whats that crap on the inside of the neck?
Whats the overall length?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:36:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 10:47:56 PM EST by Markp86]
Totally needs some more case prep. This guy was all over the map here. Pulled the bullets then trimmed the brass and must have tumbled some because I found corn cob in some, i guess that is the crap on the mouths. Or an oil dirt combo. Lol but why. Why. Who knows. Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:41:46 AM EST
I've purchased new LC brass with a black sealant inside the neck but it was from a reputable company.

The brass came with the caveat that the insides of the neck needed to be cleaned, they recommended

acetone, turning the case upside down when cleaning with a Q-Tip. Swab till clean the swab till dry.

Maybe acetone on a rag would remove the "gunk." (I'd wear gloves and do it in a well ventilated place!)

Did you check what the over-all-length really is?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:08:16 AM EST
I didn't check every case but spot measured a few and dead on 1.75
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:17:28 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:23:11 AM EST
If you spotted corn cob in some of them then I would consider them once fired.

I would deprime, resize, check case length and remove crimp before I did anything with them.

If the corn cob is stuck in the primer hole you will have hang fires. Not sure if risking this is worth the cost of replacing primers.

They were most likely pulled and this is why he claimed "virgin" brass. Not really virgin in my book but I guess technically they are since they were never fired.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:34:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/21/2016 4:34:29 PM EST by atblis]
You can tumble them after loading them. That'll take care of the already being primed issue. I'd brush the necks, load them, and then tumble them.

What's the neck outside diameters? If it was resized and trimmed using the Dillon trimmer/die and it does appear so, the neck very well might need expanded. Lyman M die would take care of that.

Sticky and oily would lead me to suspect a Lanolin based lube which is perfectly normal.
Top Top