Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/5/2005 6:15:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 6:54:43 AM EDT by caver101]
I think I saw this somewhere on here before, but a search turned up nothing.

What is the recoil like on a 29" barrel Viper? Is it as little at the AR50? Or more like my UL50?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:51:21 AM EDT
Having shot one, I would say it's more like the UL50. Definately more felt recoil then my AR-50.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:58:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 50_Shooter:
Having shot one, I would say it's more like the UL50. Definately more felt recoil then my AR-50.

Thanks, is it to the point that ~5 rounds is all that you would want to fire? Compair to a 3.5" 12GA slug gun? Light rifle in 300WM??
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:29:27 AM EDT
I would say that you could shoot it all day at the range and be fine, I think more people get beat up by their rifles from the way they hold them. Keep the stock firm against your shoulder (don't muscle it) and you'll be fine. The recoil on most .50's is more of a big push due to the muzzle brake designs. The one exception is the LAR Grizzly, that friggin' rifle just beats the snot out of you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:24:40 AM EDT
Since you have some first hand experiance with the Viper how well does it do in the accuracy department?

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:23:19 PM EDT
Wasn't my rifle, just fired some rounds out of it. Should be able to hold MOA or better with quality ammo and the person behind the trigger doing their part. I would have to ask the owner if he's shot it to see what kind of accuracy it's capable of.

It was dialed in on a 400 yard target at the range, hit it evey time I pulled the trigger. The other guys that shot it seemed to do good with it also.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:23:01 PM EDT
I have a Bluegrass Armory Viper 29" barrel, standard chamber, and a buddy with an AR-50. The Viper does have more recoil, about like a 12 gauge slug, but it doesn't have nearly the muzzle blast of the AR-50. I actually find the Viper more enjoyable to shoot. Only have about 40 rounds so far, I have gotten 3" groups (5 shots) at 200 yards with cheap Talon ammo and a sloppy bench set up. I'm sure the gun is capable of better groups, I just haven't got a good bench set up for it yet. That said, I really like my Viper and can recomend it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:56:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GOB:
I have a Bluegrass Armory Viper 29" barrel, standard chamber, and a buddy with an AR-50. The Viper does have more recoil, about like a 12 gauge slug, but it doesn't have nearly the muzzle blast of the AR-50. I actually find the Viper more enjoyable to shoot. Only have about 40 rounds so far, I have gotten 3" groups (5 shots) at 200 yards with cheap Talon ammo and a sloppy bench set up. I'm sure the gun is capable of better groups, I just haven't got a good bench set up for it yet. That said, I really like my Viper and can recomend it.

Thanks GOB, that is the info I wanted to hear. I guess that settles it, Viper it is...anyone want to buy my UL50??
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:39:28 PM EDT
If you call BGA soon I know that their wait times right now are pretty short. 4-8 weeks. They have been great to deal with so far.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:55:15 AM EDT
They are a little hard to get ahold of.....we have been playing phone tag for over a week. They have returned my calls every time. The Viper it is!

I will place my order once I sell my existing UL50 rifle
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Top Top