Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2011 2:53:38 PM EDT
Sorry if this is a dupe but I have not viewed it here or anywhere. This guy was shooting a .50 cal rifle and he was very close to death.

Guy shooting .50 link
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm starting to hate this video
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello, 2007?   Where have you been?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#3]
yup thats an oldie
been posted here before
just not recently
good to see again though
help remind people not to shot steels @ under 200 yards with the 50
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I check this section almost daily and this video I have never noticed before, but it may have been.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I check this section almost daily and this video I have never noticed before, but it may have been.

It's older than both our join dates combined brother.  

You should have seen the shit I got for posting something from Cracked once.  It went 3 pages of "no mercy"-fucking dupe asshole spam.

I don't think I even replied to anything for a month my ass was so sore.

Just don't post the sword kid, the 20 foot rule, or the photographer downrange in the next 24 hours and this will pass.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I still don't know how that's possible.  The round takes all its energy and velocity in one direction, hits a plate and does a 180.  Obviously it is I just don't understand the physics.  

The closest thing I've seen in person is when I hit a plate at 1k with ball ammo and I found the steel core about 3 feet back from the plate.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, it's not like over 15 million people haven't already seen this video, or anything.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah it's an oldie, but what the hell.

Even today people ask me why my steel targets are angled down 20 degrees.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Even though it is an olde. If it saves someone some grief. Then a reminder just before shooting season is soon upon us.

Although as someone pointed out. Just below the videos, there is a date stamp.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Even though it's old no one knows what he was shooting at. I have read it was an engine block, scrap steel, a wheel, on and on.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Gee, Never seen that

CP
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#12]
A child was killed within the past week in the Las Vegas area from ricocheting bullet fragments.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Even though it's old no one knows what he was shooting at. I have read it was an engine block, scrap steel, a wheel, on and on.

I heard a guy on the video say "no more iron".
The shooter is blessed he wasnt` killed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I still don't know how that's possible.  The round takes all its energy and velocity in one direction, hits a plate and does a 180.  Obviously it is I just don't understand the physics.  

The closest thing I've seen in person is when I hit a plate at 1k with ball ammo and I found the steel core about 3 feet back from the plate.

But you don't know if it was the steel core of the bullet that came back at the shooter, or a piece of the iron/steel/whatever target he was shooting.
You also don't know the shape or the design of the target. It could have been a cast iron pot or engine block that exploded in all directions (cast iron is very hard, but also brittle) and one piece had enough energy to fly that 100-200yds back to the shooter.

Also keep in mind not all cores are the same hardness/density.
Ever shoot tracers at night with a .50? If you hit a rock or a hard surface, those things can fly just about anywhere...and in some very erratic "patterns."
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:12:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you ever get to a machine gun shoot, watch for the 50 cal tracers flying out of the M2.  Those rounds boucne and go just about anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you ever get to a machine gun shoot, watch for the 50 cal tracers flying out of the M2.  Those rounds boucne and go just about anywhere.

I've seen that kind of thing but I've never seen one come back.  I've seem them skip off into the night and in one case I shot a car I had one go straight up.  And I guess it could have just been a chunk of metal from the target too.  That would make more sense to me than the bullet coming back.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top