Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 10:44:31 AM EDT
I am interested in adding a rifle to my arsenal, specifically for the long range killing of Spikey Haired Mutants, Radioactive Grizzly Bears, or Giant Telepathic Snot Squids. I don't need pretty, or laser accurate... think "accurate enough to hunt with". I am not a target shooter, and have no plans to be.I am thinking about 7.62mm/.308, but need to keep it under +/- $350. Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Mauser.  $79.  

That cheap enough?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Mauser.  $79.  

That cheap enough?

Do they make those K98's in 7.62? I'd prefer to keep it in a caliber that is widely available after the SHTF, so I can scavenge from the Ruins... yes, I am trying to be funny. I basically would like to have something longer ranged and harder hitting than my BM shorty, but I am on a severe budget right now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Yugo M48 or M48-A (Mod98 8x57JS Mauser)  Currently ammo for these is cheap and abundant.(And corrosive, but that is a very minor detail in a bolt action)
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I purchased a rem. 700 in 30-06 for $355 at wallmart a few months ago.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I don't know if you've read all the other threads about it or not, but admitting on this site that you bought a rifle at Wal-Mart is a very brave thing.........

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know if you've read all the other threads about it or not, but admitting on this site that you bought a rifle at Wal-Mart is a very brave thing.........

BullSh!t, it is a smart thing...just because something is cheaper doesn't mean it is inferiour.  Do you buy socks at Target or Nordstroms?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't care what anyone on this site thinks or says. I'm a 23 yr old college student with limited funds. Walmart had the rifle I wanted for less than the local gun shops. Anyone that pays more for a firearm at a gunshop because they didn't want to buy from walmart is a dumb a@s.

P.S. I dropped a buck at about 100 yds. with my walmart rifle last October.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]
ive seen a couple of ishapore SMLEs in 308 under $200..
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BullSh!t, it is a smart thing...just because something is cheaper doesn't mean it is inferiour.  Do you buy socks at Target or Nordstroms?

Sgtar15

Rifles from Wal-Mart are "seconds" and with no "factory warranty."
(This gem of information comes from the "Wal-Mart thread - sure as hell not from me !)

Just thought you'd want to know.

(I buy my socks from Lands End.)
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do they make those K98's in 7.62? I'd prefer to keep it in a caliber that is widely available after the SHTF, so I can scavenge from the Ruins... yes, I am trying to be funny. I basically would like to have something longer ranged and harder hitting than my BM shorty, but I am on a severe budget right now.

Not too long back, there was a batch of Iraeli issue Mausers that were converted to .308.  Those might come in at the price you mention.  Also, the Spanish FR8 carbine is available in .308 at decent prices.

My favorite REALLY cheap gun is the Mosin Nagant.  Some of these are as low as $40, and they are low-tech, uncomplicated arms that shoot a round every bit as powerful as 7.62x51.  I have even seen decent supplies of lead round nose ammo, non-corrosive and boxer primed in the last couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Take a look at this:
www.samcoglobal.com/rifles.html#gcm

The price is right, the size is handy, but I understand they are noisy as all get out...
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

BULLSOX
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

BULLSOX

Look here B. Boy I figure your primary expertise is chasing them Red-Neck Riveria broads - not Walmart !  (Please note by "edit.")

Snake Stabler still hang-out down there ?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#14]
www.remington.com/magazine/articles/rc009004.asp
Remington model 710

I bought one in 30-06 a few months ago for $325 NIB (comes with 3-9x scope) and it works fine for hunting (2-3 MOA) I just put some good camo tape on it to make it look better.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#15]
You can do it for less than $130.00 without leaving your home.

C&R license......................$35.00
Excellent condition M44 riifle...$50.00
440rnd tin of 7.62x54ammo........$44.00
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

BULLSOX

Look here B. Boy I figure your primary expertise is chasing them Red-Neck Riveria broads - not Walmart !  (Please note by "edit.")

Snake Stabler still hang-out down there ?

HA-HA-HA!!!!!
Uh-oh, somebody told on me!  Yes I do have a little experience with the local ladies and yes the Snake does still hang out here.  He still brings in a lot of NFL celebs for various fundraisers, when he isn't being busted for DUI by the local Law
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Savage Scout in .308!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't care what anyone on this site thinks or says. I'm a 23 yr old college student with limited funds. Walmart had the rifle I wanted for less than the local gun shops. Anyone that pays more for a firearm at a gunshop because they didn't want to buy from walmart is a dumb a@s.

P.S. I dropped a buck at about 100 yds. with my walmart rifle last October.

WHOA WHOA WHOA !!!!

I was not attacking anyone for purchasing ANYTHING at Wal-Mart. I'm just saying that there are alot of people of this site that will freak out if you say you bought a gun at Wal-Mart. I happen to feel that capitalism is a wonderful thing, and if you get a good deal somewhere then go for it ! You might want to read my comments in the "Wal-Mart Rifle" thread.

Believe me, I am all for you buying a gun at Wal-Mart. WHY? Because you are buying a gun. More people buying guns means a stronger gun industry and less chance for Liberals to destroy our RIGHTS.

Sorry for the confusion !
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

HA-HA-HA!!!!!
Uh-oh, somebody told on me!  Yes I do have a little experience with the local ladies and yes the Snake does still hang out here.  He still brings in a lot of NFL celebs for various fundraisers, when he isn't being busted for DUI by the local Law

One of my old friends, Randal Watson (deceased) was Snake's best friend.

At the time I thought I had a couple of bucks and both Kenny and I had identical Porsche 928's.  Dragging the strip was fun cause all the womenz thought I as der snake !
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

I buy socks at WAL-MART!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HA-HA-HA!!!!!

At the time I thought I had a couple of bucks and both Kenny and I had identical Porsche 928's.  Dragging the strip was fun cause all the womenz thought I as der snake !

Was this back during the "Diamondback" days?  How long since you been on the RNR/Pleasure Island?  Seen all the chnages?  Hell we're now a winter destination for the snowbirds.  Hard as hell to get a good cheap motel room on a Fri/Sat nite now!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#22]
... Pick up your local classified ads.

An example: www.azcentral.com/class/merch/searchresults.php
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HA-HA-HA!!!!!

Was this back during the "Diamondback" days?  How long since you been on the RNR/Pleasure Island?  Seen all the chnages?  Hell we're now a winter destination for the snowbirds.  Hard as hell to get a good cheap motel room on a Fri/Sat nite now!!

Yeap, the "Diamondback" days.
Long ago.  Too long ago.
Things are now in your capable hands.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#24]
5subslr5-

Pulled up your profile.  Saw the last name listed.  You have family here in the construction business?  
Beachboy

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#25]
check this web site for a british enfeild in 308. www.gibbsrifle.com/sport.html
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

(This gem of information comes from the "Wal-Mart thread - sure as hell not from me !)

Ohhh Gees here we go with this BS again.  That rumor was probably made up by some small podunk shop that couldnt keep up with the prices of Wal-Mart.  Call Ruger, Remington, Mossberg, and any other brand they sell and ask about the Wal-Mart guns.  They will tell you that Wal-Mart gets the same guns that any of the other places do.  Every gun comes with a Warranty Card and the FACTORY WARRANTY.  Trust me I've called.  This RUMOR has really gotten old and I dont see why people just blindly believe that.  You honestly think that a company is not going to provide a warranty on a firearm and risk a lawsuit because of a faulty firearm.  Come on!  Lets think a little before we become another one of the sheep following the herd!
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mauser.  $79.  

That cheap enough?

R-guns in IL if you want to go there has them for $129 in 308
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#28]
when I caught the title of this thread,,I thought we were lookin at serious stopping power,,,believe it or not,,any one here know any one in alaska or canada,,on big bears,,I have been told, too many times,,,12 guage slug is the way to go,,,,big bore,,,,lots of stopping power,,and cheap,,,,just my 2 cents,,now you can go find a 460 nitro double rifle,,last I heard they were goin for over 10 grand,,and box of regulated loads over 200bucks,,,
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Not a long range rifle, but a 45/70 will drop anything that walks on this Continent. This is the Marlin Guide Gun... costs a little more, though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been looking for the same thing, and of all the research I've done, I've found that Savage would be the best buy out there.  Most people here will tell you to get a Rem 700 which usually costs more, but the Savage can't be beat for price and quality.  Besides, you need to keep those spikey-haired mutants under control and have entra money for more ammo!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top