Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2011 9:55:59 PM EDT
Last time at the range I had some bad vertical stringing with a scout scope mounted rifle. I do not have a cheek-rest on it and think that's the cause of the stringing. Is that correct? I had a Blackhawk strap on cheek rest but it slid around too much and I took it off. It has a poly stock, so I could easily drill some holes and permanently attach the cheek-rest if needed to fix the stringing.

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a good cheek rest before you try anything else. Make sure all your screws are tight and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Andras––

What kind of scope are you using?  Can you adjust for parallax?

Assuming the scope is solid there is a fair chance that it is just inconsistent "chin-weld".

––Eight_Ring
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Eight-Ring

Burris 3-12x LER. IIRC the parallax is set for 100, but I was shooting at 50.

I reinstalled the cheekrest I had and I'll get it out to the range and give it another shot, so to speak.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Andras––

OK, the reason I asked about parallax is that before I knew that it mattered I was getting 2 distinct groups (tight groups) as far as 6" apart.

As I built repetitions with my chin-weld (and began adjusting for parallax) my groups tightened right up.

I also built repetitions/repeatability removing and re-installing the scope––always doing it the same, always sliding the scope forward against the stop and torquing the cams to the same firmness.

Good luck.

––Eight_Ring

Also: Another good reason to go with the Burris 2-7X is that I THINK you can go with low rings instead of the medium rings.  (Can anybody with a 2-7X confirm?)
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Also: Another good reason to go with the Burris 2-7X is that I THINK you can go with low rings instead of the medium rings.  (Can anybody with a 2-7X confirm?)

I used these rings to mount a Burris 2-7x pistol scope on the stock scout mount. HTH
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#6]
HTH––

How is the clearance on the Warne rings with the Burris 2-7X?

Would you guess someone could get away with the Leupold low rings?

Specs:
Warne Maxima Quick Detach 1" Ring
Low .250” mount scope ring.  

Leupold 1" QRW Low
Ring Height: .230" (measured from base of ring to bottom of scope tube)

Just for comparison, with the Burris 3-12X scope I had to go medium:

Leupold 1" QRW  Medium
Ring Height: .380 (measured from base of ring to bottom of scope tube)

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
HTH––

Specs:

Leupold 1" QRW Low

Leupold 1" QRW  Medium

I'm not going to speculate on what I think will work or not. What I can say is that the burris scope clears the receiver by about .25" and the fiberglass handguard gets to within about .09375" which is sort of a guess as judged by a long time ago former carpenter. So you might have to fit the handguard.

HTH stands for Hope This Helps by the way.

HTH
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
HTH––

Specs:

Leupold 1" QRW Low

Leupold 1" QRW  Medium

I'm not going to speculate on what I think will work or not. What I can say is that the burris scope clears the receiver by about .25" and the fiberglass handguard gets to within about .09375" which is sort of a guess as judged by a long time ago former carpenter. So you might have to fit the handguard.

HTH stands for Hope This Helps by the way.

HTH

Ahhhhh.......

I'll get this "cyberspace" thing figured out sooner or later.

––Eight_Ring

(Thanks for the data on the rings, Heavily_Armed)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top