Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/22/2005 2:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/30/2005 12:37:35 AM EDT by Tack]
I just had my original (Non-Wilson) Scattergun Technologies 870 barrel done with the Vang Comp System and porting.

I sent it to them priority mail on a Tuesday, they called me on Thursday, and I had it back the following Thursday complete with the Vang Comp Back Bore System and Porting work performed. Wow!!!

The cost was $250.00 plus shipping.

Now...I have yet to shoot it, but hopefully will tomorrow.

What can I expect as far as group size and recoil reduction using Federal 000 Tactical Buck and Federal Slugs?

Tack

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:47:00 PM EDT
Well, with my VCS 870, 00 buck (H132) stays within 2 inches at 25 yards. Slugs are good up to and including 100 yards dead on with the sights.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:56:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:12:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2005 6:28:22 PM EDT by FN-TPS]
Whoops...Double post

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:26:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2005 6:29:58 PM EDT by FN-TPS]

2 INCHES?

Not to doubt your word, but that is phenominal at 25yd... are you SURE about that?

I just went and looked at Han's Vang's web site just to make sure I wasn't remembering things wrong.

Vang's own tests and his endorsed testers, show patterns of like between 7 to 13 inches depending on the load at 25 yards...

2" would be a pretty small group at 7 yards.

And now of course...anouther of my shameless plugs for the FN Tactical Shotgun.

FN Tactical's come Ported and Backbored from the factory, by the nice craftsmen at Winchester.

I must really do a proper set of tests, here soon and measure off everything, during a patterning. Shooting several diffent loads...It would be very intresting to see how Winchester's factory FN Backbore and porting job, compares to the results from the Vang modified 870. at 7/15/25 yards

This sounds like a nobel experiment worthy of AR15.coms shotgun boards ongoing Winchester/FN, Remington, Mossy Debate.

I didn't have any butcher paper or standard targets when I went out and Shot my TPS last friday. I was just shooting empty Laundry detergent bottles at various ranges to get a feel for the weapon, adjust the AR type Sights and see how I liked the standard CAR Recoil pad, Hogue grip and Magpul trigger guard, I'd just installed....but I was getting some pretty tight groups.

I wonder if Chapperjoe has patterned his TPS yet and what results he was getting?
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:00:30 PM EDT
VANG-COMP IS THE BEST.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:07:02 AM EDT
Got back from the range yesterday after testing the Vang Comp System with Porting on the original (non- Wilson) Scattergun. I tested Federal Tactical 000 Buck 8 pellet, WW 9 Pellet 00 Buck, Federal Tactical Slugs, and 7 1/2 Heavy Trap Loads.

With the Federal Tactical 000 8 Pellet Buck, I observed the following "Average" pattern sizes. (I fired 3 rounds of each and measured each single round except for the slugs, which were just 1 string of 3 rounds):

7 Yds = 6"
25 Yds = 10"

With the WW 00 9 Pellet Buck...

7 yds = 7"
25 yds = 12"

With the 7 1/2 Heavy Trap Loads...
7 yds = 1 very nasty rat hole about 4" big with a few flyers. (This would seem to make one hell of a mess if shot in the face with this load)
25 Yds = Hard to measure, but pretty much all of the load seemed to have hit the IDPA Target Torso.

Federal Tactical Slugs...
2 inch groups (Center to Center) at 50 yards from a rest.

Regarding recoil and muzzle rise.....

Both were significantly and "noticeably" reduced! The weapon was very controllable and easily stayed on target with rapid fire strings of all the above tested ammo at 25 yards. I should mention that I am 5' 11" and weigh 245 lbs., and have shot well over 125,000 rounds of 45 ACP, 5,56mm, .308 Win. and 12 GA, so I have learned to control recoil pretty well without compensators. However, the Vang Comp definitely makes it much easier, and more enjoyable.

I used to be bruised in my shoulder, and my teeth actually hurt after a 50 round training session with full tactical loads, but not after todays session...which will make me want to train more. The recoil wasn't much more that a standard 28" barrel shooting Heavy Trap loads. As a matter of fact....I didn't feel too much more recoil out of the Scattergun with 7 1/2 Heavy Trap Loads compared to the Federal Tactical 000 Buck loads.

Vang Comp System with Porting.....Highly Recommended!

Side note...I also installed a Speed Feed "Youth Stock" which shortened the pull to 13" from 14 1/2 inches. This has made a big difference in quickly mounting and controlling the Scattergun. It's just easier to mount the weapon, operate the slide,and "Stay In It" shooting multiple shots properly with the shorter stock. FWIW...many "Pros" (Awerbuck, Farnum etc.) have advocated shorter stocks on Tactical Shotguns for years. I like it!

As always....YMMV.

Tack
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:19:51 AM EDT
Whats their website?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:19:23 PM EDT
vangcomp.com

I encourage you to call Hans Vang personally to discuss your needs. He's a great guy who doesn't need the money, so he'll "Shoot Straight" with you.

Tack
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:45:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tack:

Side note...I also installed a Speed Feed "Youth Stock" which shortened the pull to 13" from 14 1/2 inches. This has made a big difference in quickly mounting and controlling the Scattergun. It's just easier to mount the weapon, operate the slide,and "Stay In It" shooting multiple shots properly with the shorter stock. FWIW...many "Pros" (Awerbuck, Farnum etc.) have advocated shorter stocks on Tactical Shotguns for years. I like it!

Big +1

I put the Speedfeed youth stock on one of my 870's and its a much better length of pull than the standard speedfeeds.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:10:20 PM EDT
Top Top