Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 10:27:45 AM EDT
I have been waiting awhile, and I am 99.33 (with bar over last 3) done with my 870P build.

I started with a like new Remington 870P. Reasons being, for the proven reliability in the pump series of shotguns, strong magazines pring, metal trigger components, stronger parkerized finish.

From here, with the mission of home/apartment/range duties, I added the Surefire 618FA weapon light for positive target acquisition. Being the newest model, it hit fits my hand quite while, has momentary on/off and constant on toggle switch, 6volts of power feeding the 65lumen light that is quite blinding.

The standard magazine tube was replaced with a wilson extension, making the total capacity 6+1 with 2 3/4 shells. It gets as close as it can get to not passing the barrel. With the magazine tube, I added a Wilson High-Viz follower to make it easier to ensure status of weapon and increase safety at the range.

With more magazine capacity, comes more online shell storage. I went with the Tac-Star side saddle, 6 capacity saddle. From some reviews online, I have heard it holds up better than the wilson saddle. Has done great so far.

From here, with my future plans, I wanted adjustable ghost ring sights for accuracy with slugs and high performance buck-shot loads.  I decided on the wilson-trak lock version, I went with them over the MMC sights for simple reasons, price tag. Wilson will get the job done just as well.

From here, I knew I wanted to increase the accuracy, follow up shooting capability, and decrease recoil/muzzle rise of the shotgun. I wanted the ability to shoot slugs/buckshot/birdshit without changing out barrels. I also wanted to enjoy being able to practice at the range and not putting my shoulder through hell. I decided to send my shotgon off to Hans Vang (Vang Comp) for his back boring and porting (VCS System and Modifications). The VCS system dramatically decreases muzzle rise, dampens recoil, and allows me to shoot buckshot/birdshot/slugs back to back.

From here, I was debating on furniture and slings. I decided on the knoxx CompStock Knoxx CompStock Specs). With this stock, I enjoyed having the capability to mount the GG&G single point sling plate in conjunction with a s.p. sling. The Compstock DRAMATICALLY decreases recoil, its advertisesments do not do the product justice. I also decided with a Knoxx Big Headed safety, which was great for when trigger discipline allowed you to take it off safe extremely fast.

After some range time, for my personal use, I decided the LOP on the CompStock was a little too long. I still stuck with knoxx and went with the SpecOps stock (SpecOps Stock details). This stock is amazing, decreases muzzle rize and recoil even further, the LOP is so much shorter and even adjustable. It shoulders so much beter, it is lighter, it very comfrotable.
Only down sides are, I could not use the big headed safety or the GG&G single point sling, for safety and product concerns.

So, the only thing I have left to do is decide on a 2/3point sling, and I have had some recommendations on the ThunderTac by Thor, I am still researching, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And Finally, lots of pics:

99.3% complete rifle (needs sling)

Upclose Picture of the VangComp Barrel Porting and Wilson Front Sight

Upclos Picture of the Wilson Rear-adj sight

Not So good pic of tac-star saddle

Hi-Viz Follower/chamber pic

Knoxx Spec-Ops Adj. Stock Pic

Sight Picture

Another Complete Rifle Pic

Hope this helps someone with their future build, and if anyone has some sling recommendations, post em.

best,
chrome

ETA: Forgot a detailed range report update, shot it this morning, simply amazing. I didn't have the camera with me, but I will take pictures of the patterning and video of the recoil soon.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]

No offense, but those are the worst pics ever!

How much did you pay for the plain jane 870P?

I need one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No offense, but those are the worst pics ever!

How much did you pay for the plain jane 870P?

I need one.

they are the worse pics, my light-fu is weak in the apartment since I have to 'hide' my cats

Plain jane can be found for around $300
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
if anyone has some sling recommendations, post em.

www.spectergear.com/sop_sling.htm#870
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Man sweet gun you got there!!! I'm itchin to get mine into Vang for his work over before installing my Knoxx Spec stock.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Make Your Own Tactical Sling, As Seen on AR15.com

Thank you very much for that link!

2guntom
2guntom.com
454 Casull
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice!

How much did the whole setup run you?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet. Hans Vang is the man!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nice!

Breakdown approx the following:

$550ish for the Police Magnum that included:
  -Surefire Fore-end
  -Speed Feed Pistol Grip Stock
  -Wilson/Scatter Gun Trak-Lock Ghost Rings
  -Tac-Star Side Saddle
  -Blackhawk shell carrier
  -50 rounds of buckshot
(this was a really GOOD deal, lucked out finding this locally)

$240 for the VCS system (back boring and porting)
$120 for the Spec-Ops Stock (subtract selling the speed feed, really only cost $70)

Around $900 for the total deal? Very little waiting invovled, Vang's turn around time is top notch.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#10]
A fine shotgun to be proud of and use for the rest of your life. Just remember not to sell it when they wave the money in front of your face.

CaCrusin

www.knoxx.com
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nice!

Breakdown approx the following:

$550ish for the Police Magnum that included:
  -Surefire Fore-end
  -Speed Feed Pistol Grip Stock
  -Wilson/Scatter Gun Trak-Lock Ghost Rings
  -Tac-Star Side Saddle
  -Blackhawk shell carrier
  -50 rounds of buckshot
(this was a really GOOD deal, lucked out finding this locally)

$240 for the VCS system (back boring and porting)
$120 for the Spec-Ops Stock (subtract selling the speed feed, really only cost $70)

Around $900 for the total deal? Very little waiting invovled, Vang's turn around time is top notch.

Thanks.  Great deal indeed!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top