Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2008 8:01:32 PM EDT
its taking to long to get a response in the ak section what would be a good sorce for 223 ak magazines ?? either steel or poly doesnt matter i remeber reading some where that bulgarian poly 223 mags could be grinded on to work in a valmet 76 any truth to this ?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:12:47 AM EDT
I had a 76, I was told Galil mags would work but they are a somewhat sloppy fit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:46:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/18/2008 7:47:05 AM EDT by ThePitbullofLove]

Originally Posted By MTRancher:
I had a 76, I was told Galil mags would work but they are a somewhat sloppy fit.

Galil mags may work but they can be highly DANGEROUS.

Galil mags have the wrong feed angle for a Valmet.  If you use Galil magazines, there is a fair chance that the bullet of rounds feeding from said magazine will slam into the "feed ramp" of the Valmet and seat the bullet further back in the case.  This can lead to over pressure issues and possible KABOOM's.

To convert .223 AK mags to work in a Valmet is fairly simple.  I've had luck with both the Bulgarian waffle mags and Weiger steel mags.  The waffle mags are easier to convert, while the Weigers take a bit more dremeling, but look more "correct".

For the record-

Valmet factory mag

Bulgarian waffle

Weiger mag

Now, when I bought my M76F, it was NIB unfired, but the guy who sold it to me included a couple of magazines he'd modified for his other M76.  These appear to be AK74 Bakelite magazines painted black and filed to fit.  Surprisingly, they work, but they don't fill me with confidence...

I also tried adapting a Galil/AR-15 mag adapter to the Valmet.  It "kinda" works, but it still has the Galil mag type issue where every so often it will slam a round into the feed ramp.  This was kind of disappointing because it took a lot of fitting, and still didn't work well...

Anyway, factory, Weigar, and Bulgarian latches

Here's a few vendors for Weigar and Waffle mags-
www.palmettostatearmory.com/akmags.php
elitefirearms.net/_wsn/page10.html
www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/ak-223-bulgarian-waffle-pattern-30-round-magazines-/products_id/1587?SID
www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16709&cat=248&page=2
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:34:59 PM EDT
great info thank you, so of the 4  besides the factory mag, which one offered the best fit once modifyed ? i notice the modded galil mags wobble alot when their locked in
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:22:28 PM EDT
I have also used Bulgy mags in my 76 without a hitch, they are tight, no wobble. Very easy with a dremel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:49:54 AM EDT
Bulgarian & Weigar mags fit the best.

Bulgarians are a bit easier to fit, IMHO.

I will not use Galil mags...just too risky.
Top Top