Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2012 12:24:50 PM EDT
Hey everybody! I just purchased a VZ 52/57 and wanted to put it up here to see what you guys thought about it. I saw it yesterday while browsing through a new gun store looking for nothing in particular. From my research, it is Czechoslovakia's version of an SKS, although not very similar once you get past the looks and caliber.

It didn't come with the original sling or cleaning kit and has a little surface rust on the end of the barrel and action. The serial numbers on the action and stock match but not the barrel cover. I haven't taken it apart yet so I'm not sure where else I will find serial numbers.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n98/nismojunkie89/IMG_4572_zpse95ec28e.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n98/nismojunkie89/IMG_4578_zps3bf6a4c2.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n98/nismojunkie89/IMG_4580_zps7c271bf5.jpg
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a 7.62x39.
They're worth a bit more than their predecessor, the Vz52 SHE in 7.62x45
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

I have the x45 version. They're good little guns.

Link Posted: 12/23/2012 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Good find. 52/57 aren't a very common gun. It is even hard to find a decent plain 52 anymore.

You can get cleaning kits from Liberty Tree Collectors, they also have slings which are the same as used on VZ58's.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 3:38:31 AM EDT
[#3]
How exactly does one tell if it is a vz52 or a vz52/57?  I have an AYM marked one that I am assuming is 7.62x45 because the seller said it was and it came with 500 rounds of x45 ammo.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 4:12:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How exactly does one tell if it is a vz52 or a vz52/57?  I have an AYM marked one that I am assuming is 7.62x45 because the seller said it was and it came with 500 rounds of x45 ammo.

If it chambers 7.62x45 then it's a 52.  I'm sure there's other ways to tell, but since you already have the x45 why not just stick one in there.  7.62x45 in a gun made for 7.62x39 would not allow the bolt to close all the way.

I love this gun.  Been on my wish list for a while.  Congrats.

-Jay
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#5]
It is indeed chambered for 7.62X39. I paid about $475 for it after tax. I think I did alright considering how much they seem to go for normally but I'm still doing research on it and its value.  

The rifles chambered for X39 have 52/57 stamped on the right front of the receiver. It will also have the indent/pin that is in my last picture right above 58 and next to the 52/57 on the other side of the receiver. Apparently a lot of the 52s had chamber inserts put into them when imported to convert from X45 to X39, so check for that Wendelsnatch. Just sticking a X45 in there like Big JayAR suggested is probably the easiest way to confirm if it doesn't have the indent.

Thanks for the lead on cleaning kits Tangeant. Do you happen to know a place selling the magazines? I noticed that has been asked a bunch over the past several years of threads I read, but I found nothing recent so maybe you or someone here knows.

Will shooting this hurt its value? I have never had a rare rifle like this and it seems like these are much less common that I initially thought.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I think that's a pretty good price.

Another way to tell is the x39 has a bit more slant to the magazine, while x45 magazine is closer to 90 degrees perpendicular with the weapon.

I'd shoot it. Just remember to soak the bore, gas piston and bolt face with windex to counteract any corrosive ammo you may use.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I just took it apart.I had to watch a youtube video, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Unfortunately only the receiver and stock #s match. The bolt carrier, hand guard, and inner heat shield are all different. I didn't find any import stamps though.

I thought most X39 stuff was non-corrosive? I'll have to look into that too since this is my first 7.62X39 firearm. I doubt I will be buying any of it soon anyway. It seems like it is sold out everywhere
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just took it apart.I had to watch a youtube video, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Unfortunately only the receiver and stock #s match. The bolt carrier, hand guard, and inner heat shield are all different. I didn't find any import stamps though.

I thought most X39 stuff was non-corrosive? I'll have to look into that too since this is my first 7.62X39 firearm. I doubt I will be buying any of it soon anyway. It seems like it is sold out everywhere

Wolf is non corrosive but if you find any surplus (there was a ton of yugo floating around earlier this year) it is corrosive.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I got to play with a vz52/57 in Iraq in 05.  Prefered it to the SKS's that I had there.  Mags are scarce to come by as you noticed.  Congrats on your rifle.

CD
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Another way to tell is the x39 has a bit more slant to the magazine, while x45 magazine is closer to 90 degrees perpendicular with the weapon.

I'd shoot it. Just remember to soak the bore, gas piston and bolt face with windex to counteract any corrosive ammo you may use.

How many times do we have to go over this- there is nothing magical about Windex. It's the water content that is doing all the work.

Anyway, back on topic: Is 7.62x45mm ammo available at all? Shame that round hit the dustbin and not the x39mm, considering the difference in ballistics.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 5:26:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many times do we have to go over this- there is nothing magical about Windex. It's the water content that is doing all the work.

Anyway, back on topic: Is 7.62x45mm ammo available at all? Shame that round hit the dustbin and not the x39mm, considering the difference in ballistics.

Greetings,

OP... great find.  I have been looking for that bugger for 6 years since I began cruffling.

As for the Windex... I thought it was the Ammonia content that did the Neutralizing of the salts in the gun powder.  (Gun powder having salt peter)  And the water was for diluting the ammonia.  Correct or Nay?

S/
K

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Combat_Driver, hwy did you prefer it to the SKS? Just curious.

I had to google cruffling. I may be slowly turning into a cruffler. The history on these older weapons is amazing.

I usually use Windex when I clean my Mosin. Sometimes I forget where I put it so I just use plain water. Both seem to work.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I had to google cruffling. I may be slowly turning into a cruffler. The history on these older weapons is amazing.

I usually use Windex when I clean my Mosin. Sometimes I forget where I put it so I just use plain water. Both seem to work.

Greetings,

Come on over...  One of my favorite pistols is my CZ-82's.  I just get all school girl giggly when I put a new pistol in my FFL book after UPS or FEDEX drops it off at my doorstep and I realize, hey... that is one more pistol I own that I didn't have to do a state background check on.  The C&R FFL pays for itself in two purchases.  Not counting what I save in a direct buy price without a dealer.

Thanks.

S/
K
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greetings,

OP... great find.  I have been looking for that bugger for 6 years since I began cruffling.

As for the Windex... I thought it was the Ammonia content that did the Neutralizing of the salts in the gun powder.  (Gun powder having salt peter)  And the water was for diluting the ammonia.  Correct or Nay?

S/
K

Nope.

The salts produced are from the combustion process.  Like table salt, it is water soluble and is not affected by ammonia.  The water in Windex (which is almost all it's makeup) dissolves the salt and flushes it out.

Don't waste money on Windex.  Just bring a bottle of water to the range with you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

IIRC length of pull (stock length) is longer and better trigger.  I also liked the vz58 better over the AK series.  Could also be that on my mothers side, my grandfather was Sovakian (dads side Polish) :D.

CD

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greetings,

S/
K

Smokeless powder is nitrocellulose-based, and does not contain salt peter (sodium nitrate). Blackpowder's another story. Corrosively-primed ammunition generates potassium perchlorate as a product, and that is not soluble in ammonia. There are surfactants in Windex, but those aren't going to help much in a firearm. It's the water content that's doing the job of dissolving and removing the salt.
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Check the MSDS on Windex, it has not contained ammonia in a long time.

What they call "Ammonia-D" is really alcohol.

I like the Windex only because it evaporates faster than straight water,and that is why they put the alcohol in it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Very nice score!

I love the VZ52's mines a damn good rifle.

Glad i got dies for x45 because finding surplus ammo is getting VERY hard. If you do find some it is the most corrosive ammo i have ever seen!

MY bore was already frosted with rust in a matter of an hour driving even after a quick flush at the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top