Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2002 5:41:40 AM EDT
Is there a way to verify a UZI’s status as to pre-ban or post-ban?
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:43:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You can generally tell by the manufacturer.

IMI - preban
Norinco - postban
Group Ind. - mixed, some pre, some post

For better or worse though, I've seen some IMI receivers advertised lately, which I think are imported recently (making them post).  The early ones were imported by Action Arms, but I don't know about these more recent ones.

You also have to consider two bans - 922(v) and 9229(r) - the '89 import ban and the '94 AWB.  The IMI's imported by Action Arms are pre-94 and pre-89.  The Norinco's are post for both bans.  The Group guns were made in the US so only the 94 AWB is at issue.  Getting back to these recent IMI's - they would be post-89 and post-94.

Who is the manufacturer, the importer and what kind on finish?
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Unknown importer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#3]
My guess it that its a preban.  For some reason though I think Action Arms stamped the ones that they imported.  If no one else comes up with a better answer, I'll check mine this weekend and let you know (I'm in NYC today, and unfortunately I can't keep my Uzi here).
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]
On an IMI you can not be sure without checking with the FFL who sold it.  There have been a lot of IMI stripped receivers on the market lately.  They are preban, but have never been built into complete guns.  Therefore, they must be built to post ban configuration.  You must let your conscience guide you.  If it is impossible for you to tell, so would it be for anyone else without an investigation.  You could study the finishes on the receiver and other components to see if they match.  If they match you are probably good to go.  If not or if you see SMG ratcheting top cover it could be built with a parts kit and a stripped receiver.  Buyer be ware.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top