Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2009 11:25:30 AM EDT
The British documentation for the STEN state that the magazine is a direct copy of the German MP38/40 magazine manufactured by Erma.

Does anyone have data on the interchangeability of STEN and MP40 mags? Can an MP40 accept STEN mags?
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Post this in the Class III section.  I think you'll find more MP40 owners.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
nope, STEN mag is too deep front to back.  the mp38/40 mag is missing the deep rib in the back that the STEN has......this is from memory while briefly handling both a few years back.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I sold my amnesty 40 several years back, but when I first acquired it a couple of the mags that came with the deal were Stens..............they did both fit and function.    Only issue was that the things were tight in the mag well, but were easily relieved with some judicious draw filing................bottom line is that you'd have to check your individual gun for fit & function..............they DO look very much alike.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
That's cool.  I would have never guessed that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#5]
the Sten Mags were copied from an earllier German SMG mag.....IIRC the Bergmann/ Schmeisser MP 18/I that took the box mag, not the luger snail drum.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless the MP 40 mag hsg has been worked over there is no way a Sten mag will fit.  It is 1/8"+ longer front to rear than an MP 40 mag - I just compared the 2 (I have both a 40 & Sten).  A 40 mag might fit in a sten but it would not lock in and function.  
Don't think I've ever tried that and mine are in the safe.  
IF memory serve the Sten mags were copied from the MP 28.
Sarge
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#7]
That would make sense, since the MP28 was directly cloned as the British "Lanchester" for the Royal Navy. The Lanchester had a 50 round magazine, but would accept Sten mags from what I remember.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top