Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 3:57:08 AM EDT
I have a Winchester Model 12, 20 GA shotgun.  It is a family heirloom.  The newest date on the barrel has the year 1913.  

Does anyone have a link to websites that list used shotgun values, or have a catalog/book listing used gun prices?

I have no intention of selling it, but would like to get an idea of what it is worth.

Also, it is in need of being reblued and having the stock refinished.  I know refinishing it will lower the value, but again since I have no intention of selling it, I am not too concerned.  I would actually like to build a nice case for it, and hang it on a wall
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#1]
probably $400 to $900 or so
might search teh web for Model 12's and get a comparison.
Engraved or Piegeon grades are worth lots more than field grades.
Fine shotguns though

Brian
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#2]
If Winchester does indeed go out of business, it will be worth a hell of a lot more in a year or so than it is now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I thought about the value if Winchester does go under.  But I think I will plague the earth with a child to pass it on to.  If not, one of my cousins will get it.  I am the 4th generation to own it, I want to keep it in the family
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Winchester is not going out of business, they're just not manufacturing any more guns for the time being.  The company that owns the name is still in business, and there's nothing to say that the name won't come back later.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i think it is great that you want to keep the gun but i think you honor the gun and previous owners by using that gun. IMHO. MIKE.

I have other shotguns I can use.  I understand what you are saying, I just don't want to shoot it.  Its the only family heirloom we have (Except congestive heart failure, high blood pressure...etc)

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Winchester is not going out of business, they're just not manufacturing any more guns for the time being.  The company that owns the name is still in business, and there's nothing to say that the name won't come back later.

Either way, the end result is the same.  Simple supply and demand.  No more supply (even if temporary) demand goes up.  Price follows demand.  Econ 101.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i think it is great that you want to keep the gun but i think you honor the gun and previous owners by using that gun. IMHO. MIKE.

I have other shotguns I can use.  I understand what you are saying, I just don't want to shoot it.  Its the only family heirloom we have (Except congestive heart failure, high blood pressure...etc)

hr

I hear you brother! A 10/22 and high cholesterol was all my old man left me! MIKE.

That made think of Johnny Cash -

"My daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to Ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze. "
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top