Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2002 3:29:15 AM EDT
I've recently purchased a used bushmaster m4 that supposedly has been fired around 150 times.  I should be getting this thing next week.  Is there anything I should do to the gun immediatly before I go shoot it  (cleaning / preperation wise)? As far as inspection, is there anything I should look for,  that I can spot just by looking, trouble wise?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've recently purchased a used bushmaster m4 that supposedly has been fired around 150 times.  I should be getting this thing next week.  Is there anything I should do to the gun immediatly before I go shoot it  (cleaning / preperation wise)? As far as inspection, is there anything I should look for,  that I can spot just by looking, trouble wise?

===============================================

yes..!
first open it up & check the bore for obstructions, check the bolt carrier for all the parts, firing pin, FP retaining pin, etc., look in the lower & ID the parts there..., presuming all is in order, loader up & have a ball......

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on your newly acquired Bushmaster!

I would look it over well, do a function check, clean it completely then go to the range and sight it in.

Here's a link to a quick check:

www.ar15.com/articles/article.html?article=15

Enjoy!

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I generally clean the bore, to remove all grease and oils.  This can be done with a few quick passes of the cleaning rod or a single pass with a boresnake.

Then I lube the bolt carrier rails with Tetra grease.  Others will probably have their own routine.  

Get a bunch of USGI mags, some ammo, a spotting scope and a place at the bench and you're ready!

Enjoy!  Those M4gerys are a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#4]
If this is your first AR-type rifle, get a tech manual (Army or USMC) and read it.  Then, take the rifle down to the operator level and learn how it works.  You might find something put back together wrong or something broken.  Check the chamber and bore.  Make sure it's lubed (BreakFree CLP is great) properly.

Basically, learn everything you can before firing it.  It will save you heartache at the range.  Good luck.  Was it a pre-ban or a post ban (does it have a flash hider or a crowned barrel?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Great advise - thank you guys.
Its a post ban and my first AR!  I plan on learning how it operates - then learning to shoot it well.  Hope the rifle is in good mechanical order.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Even though it is a postban, since it is used I would make sure there are NO M16 parts in it!!
Better safe than sorry.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top