Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2017 8:53:28 PM EDT
Why are they so high?

I'd like to buy a used one and make some changes, but wat'd'fuk is with the prices

Christ, over two bills for every single one I find locally.

And that's for a basic model with the cheap wood or synthetic stock.

Christ, Wally World sells it new for $209.96.

Am I missing something here?

ETA:

Averaging about $250
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The only reason guns are the price you see them on the used market is because people buy them.  Pretty simple, they are going to sell them for what they can get.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I noticed prices for used 10/22s went up as interest in suppressing .22 went up.  Same thing happened with threaded small caliber pistols too.  Sorta like was mentioned previously that more people just want to get more money for what they have, and someone is likely to come along and pay their price (or very closely to it).
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only reason guns are the price you see them on the used market is because people buy them.  Pretty simple, they are going to sell them for what they can get.
View Quote
I get it.

Just frustrating as hell.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Extreme patience and hunting over a wide radius will eventually turn up a rifle priced between $100 and $150.  It might be ratty or have a rusty barrel, but that is minor.  Don't rip off an old man or widow that don't know the value of the rifle, the old guy selling his stuff most likely still thinks it's worth $87, and his widow likely has no idea.
View Quote
Oh, I agree.

I'll pay a fair price for one used.

$150-$175 is where I'd like to be on one.

This $250 for a used one on the same rack as a new $269-$279 gun though, that's a joke.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking for a used takedown model for awhile for my oldest, but they're either snapped up quickly, or near MSRP. I got lucky last week when my LGS was selling the basic TD version for $300 new. Owner supposedly wanted to get rid of the old stock so he can stick up the newer ones with the American stocks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Older ones are better.

Some are pre-ban if that still makes a difference anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Here used ones are $125-$145. The problem is finding them. They are so easy to sell they go from one person to the next like lightening. A guy at work says he wants to sell one, someone immediately says they will take it. They pop up in pawn shops in spurts. I've gotten good deals from time to time but once again they go fast below $150. So far this year I picked up 2 standard carbines and a stainless synthetic all for good prices with extra mags or a case thrown in. Just have to look hard. I wish I could find a deal on a compact model.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here used ones are $125-$145. The problem is finding them. They are so easy to sell they go from one person to the next like lightening. A guy at work says he wants to sell one, someone immediately says they will take it. They pop up in pawn shops in spurts. I've gotten good deals from time to time but once again they go fast below $150. So far this year I picked up 2 standard carbines and a stainless synthetic all for good prices with extra mags or a case thrown in. Just have to look hard. I wish I could find a deal on a compact model.
View Quote
Pawn shops that sell guns around here are pretty spread out, so I may need to have a Saturday or Sunday dedicated to lots of driving and searching.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a used bull barrel 10/22 with a Hogue stock, (2) OEM 10 round magazines, and a scope mount rail for $245, I think? I thought that was a fair price.

The bone stock 10/22 goes for around $200 these days. That's plus local tax or FFL transfer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh, I agree.

This $250 for a used one on the same rack as a new $269-$279 gun though, that's a joke.
View Quote
It would be a joke, except those people are buying the older ones for the higher prices, the price of the 10/22 is going to continue to go up if people keep paying the prices, especially for the older ones, which are actually better than the new ones.

It is starting to be like the Winchester 94, the pre-64 always bring more than the post-64 guns.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one used that I'm considering letting go for $300 in the EE. After you add the BX25 trigger, Tech sight set, and Lasermax plus it's a Ruger Anniversary model, that is very fair for being used.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh, I agree.

View Quote
What's on the used one that adds to the value? Or was it just stock?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I agree.

Nothing, stock guns for near retail prices.

Patience will need to reign in on my part.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nothing, stock guns for near retail prices.

Patience will need to reign in on my part.
View Quote
I understand the annoyance then, that's bad in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Some people think older ones are better, like more metal in the trigger, but I've read that the polymer parts allow smaller tolerances and the new 10/22 I bought has a surprisingly good trigger.  I paid $177 for a new one on Gunbroker, plus a combined $50 for shipping and transfer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Interesting. I've got one that I've been debating getting rid of.  I assumed I'd be lucky to get $100 out of it, so I haven't bothered trying.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been looking for a used takedown model for awhile for my oldest, but they're either snapped up quickly, or near MSRP. I got lucky last week when my LGS was selling the basic TD version for $300 new. Owner supposedly wanted to get rid of the old stock so he can stick up the newer ones with the American stocks.
View Quote
I gotta say, the TD with a suppressor is just about the most fun I have ever had with a gun.

I could only get one with a cam stock at theme so bought that, but don't like/need the camp, so looking to maybe putting the Magpul Backpacker TD stock on it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, I kinda gave in and fo'd on a 10/22 Saturday.

$200 with a Simmons scope and bulky see through combi rings/bases.
Tossed that stuff in the miscellaneous box.
Based on the serial number, it's from the last half of 2004.

After a good cleaning, it appears to be in really nice shape.

Attachment Attached File

Picked this up for $350 too,

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Just buy a new one and sell off the parts you end up replacing like the stock and barrel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A MK II in that condition will sell for at least $500 here.  One with a lot of wear will bring close to that, a $350 example would be a worn out piece of junk with no finish and probably plenty of rust.
View Quote
It's a 2014 production MKIII.

Has a pink round sticker just under a 1/4" in diameter on the grip frame.
Can I assume its' a quality control inspection sticker?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Now you're bragging!

Sounds like a new in the box gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A MK II in that condition will sell for at least $500 here.  One with a lot of wear will bring close to that, a $350 example would be a worn out piece of junk with no finish and probably plenty of rust.
It's a 2014 production MKIII.

Has a pink round sticker just under a 1/4" in diameter on the grip frame.
Can I assume its' a quality control inspection sticker?
Now you're bragging!

Sounds like a new in the box gun.
Me, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Ah, hell yeah

It was shot, maybe a few mags worth, but not much.

Not a mark on it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#26]
A couple years ago I began to look for a good used 10/22.  It took me several months before I found a 1996 deluxe in pretty good shape.  He was asking $180 and ended up getting it for $160.00

nice looking MKIII - the loaded chamber indicator on those can be an issue.  They make a blanking plate that you can put in there, but I just took a dremel tool and fixed mine.   
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#27]
New prices at the show this weekend hover at $200. Some higher but nothing lower for new. I bought a takedown today, factory camo and threaded barrel, case and two 25rd mags..... $300
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
New prices at the show this weekend hover at $200. Some higher but nothing lower for new. I bought a takedown today, factory camo and threaded barrel, case and two 25rd mags..... $300
View Quote
Takedowns at the show I went to last weekend where well over $350.
The few non-takedown models were over $275 for new.

Palmetto has a sweet deal, $200 with free shipping for a threaded barrel synthetic stock model going on right now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Takedowns at the show I went to last weekend where well over $350.
The few non-takedown models were over $275 for new.

Palmetto has a sweet deal, $200 with free shipping for a threaded barrel synthetic stock model going on right now.
View Quote
Thats nuts. I was very happy with the takedown I got today, even happier when I shot it.  I put my guardian 22 on and went through a box of cb subsonics with a grin the whole time.

What is sad though is that the takedown with suppressor rubs the can in the last thread. The front sight is just too close to the threads. I had to put a crush sleeve on it to get the can to tighten up without scraping.

Wish I could post pics, I bought four guns this weekend, two ar lowers and some ammo.  Great show.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:04:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I think part of the reason prices stay high is that unless it's physically damaged, 10/22s just keep kicking.  Why take a 50-70 dollar loss on a gun that still has 60,000 rounds or more of life left.

That said we're up to 5 of them in the safe now, I'm out of the used 10/22 market for a while
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#31]
What is a good price on a used (but good condition) newer production 10/22 with threaded barrel and one magazine?

No box or papers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:20:15 AM EDT
[#32]
About $87

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:39:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why are they so high?

I'd like to buy a used one and make some changes, but wat'd'fuk is with the prices

Christ, over two bills for every single one I find locally.

And that's for a basic model with the cheap wood or synthetic stock.

Christ, Wally World sells it new for $209.96.

Am I missing something here?

ETA:

Averaging about $250
View Quote
Some factors to consider:  
1. The economy is picking up.
2. When ammo was unavailable people weren't buying the rifles as before. Now that the neckbearding is over, they are making up for it with gusto and 10-22's are addictive.
3. A new generation has come of age as well.  10-22 addiction doesn't age discriminate.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Wrong thread
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Before the election, I usually paid about $150-$160 (private sale) for a used Ruger 10/22 in good condition with standard stock and metal trigger group.  I haven't bought another in quite a while.

Prices and background check laws have made it just stupid.

I mean.....beside the prices.....well, to do a background check for a private sale, can add another $25-$50 (depending on the FFL) to the cost.  Rrrrright, I already own several firearms and have a CCW.   The liberals (and the gun owners who like compromise) must be celebrating their stupidness.

Aloha, Mark

PS....Who wants to buy a firearm when you couldn't get ammo for it?  But, now that ammo is available again.....   So well, demand for the 10/22 rifles is up there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought my used 10/22 for $150 at a gun show in 2007. Gun shows never have deals anymore but I don't expect the value of mine has changed much.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#37]
We have the same issues with pricing where I am.  The few shops in town have used guns listed at $250+.  It was cheaper for me to drive down to Greenville, SC and buy a new one at PSA than to purchase used locally.  Crazy.

CHRIS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top