Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/15/2002 8:10:37 PM EDT
Ok, I have now tried numerous mags in my AR15. I have used a colt 20 rounder, orlite 30 rounder, sanchez 30 rounder, adventure line 30 rounder, 2 unknown makes, but they have DPMS butt plates and 1 Okay 30 rounder. The only and I repeat, the ONLY mag that drops free without help is the Okay. Would you suggest I file down the mag well a little bit? I will try to buy mostly Okays from now on, but I would like the others to be problem free. There are some that I have to physically force to get them out. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:17:03 PM EDT
Before you start removing metal, have you tried using a caliper to measure the mag well ID? Make sure you measure both the top & bottom openings & then compare it to another AR. Metal, once removed from a firearm, is a MF to put back on/in. >gg<
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 9:15:12 PM EDT
Jake, I seem to recall you saying that the lower was refinished before you bought it.

What company refinished it, and what process did they use (reanodized, Teflon, etc...)?
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 11:28:30 PM EDT
With that many mags not dropping free, it is definitely time to open up the mag well. I had mine done under warranty on my Bushy after trying a dozen USGI mags from five different mfgs. Now they all drop free. I don't know the correct way to open the mag well because I didn't do it myself, however it didn't look filed but more like they used a dremel type tool with various grit sandpaper bits.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:26:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/16/2002 7:27:23 AM EDT by Jake75]
Yup, I believe it was refinished. It was done by Lauer Custom Weaponry. They are excellent to deal with. I will drop them an e-mail to see what they used on it, or if it was done before they received it. I will update you when I find out what it was done with. Any other suggestions? Also, it is a EA J-15 Ar15 lower. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:10:40 AM EDT
send it back to the company. i had one that was tight and they (dpms) fixed it, free of course and i got it back quickly as well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:44:08 AM EDT
Update, I bought 4 20 rounders and 3 of them fall free without help. What would be the difference with them versus the 30 rounders?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:57:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:22:12 AM EDT
Rather than gring/sand, is there a way to stretch it wider?

Does it seem to hang up in a specific area in the well (top, bottom, middle) or even front or back? Where is the most wear on the finish in the well?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:36:26 AM EDT
I bet you find out that it's the refinish job.. Had some serious "tight fit" areas on a Bear Coated Bushy pre-ban.. It will loosen up with use... See if you can see where the coating is showing any wear inside the well...
Top Top