Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2002 8:10:37 PM EDT
Ok, I have now tried numerous mags in my AR15.  I have used a colt 20 rounder, orlite 30 rounder, sanchez 30 rounder, adventure line 30 rounder, 2 unknown makes, but they have DPMS butt plates and 1 Okay 30 rounder.  The only and I repeat, the ONLY mag that drops free without help is the Okay.  Would you suggest I file down the mag well a little bit?  I will try to buy mostly Okays from now on, but I would like the others to be problem free.  There are some that I have to physically force to get them out.  Any thoughts would be helpful.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Before you start removing metal, have you tried using a caliper to measure the mag well ID? Make sure you measure both the top & bottom openings & then compare it to another AR. Metal, once removed from a firearm, is a MF to put back on/in.  >gg<
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Jake, I seem to recall you saying that the lower was refinished before you bought it.

What company refinished it, and what process did they use (reanodized, Teflon, etc...)?
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
With that many mags not dropping free, it is definitely time to open up the mag well. I had mine done under warranty on my Bushy after trying a dozen USGI mags from five different mfgs. Now they all drop free. I don't know the correct way to open the mag well because I didn't do it myself, however it didn't look filed but more like they used a dremel type tool with various grit sandpaper bits.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:26:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup, I believe it was refinished.  It was done by Lauer Custom Weaponry.  They are excellent to deal with.  I will drop them an e-mail to see what they used on it, or if it was done before they received it.  I will update you when I find out what it was done with.  Any other suggestions?  Also, it is a EA J-15 Ar15 lower.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#5]
send it back to the company.  i had one that was tight and they (dpms) fixed it, free of course and i got it back quickly as well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Update, I bought 4 20 rounders and 3 of them fall free without help.  What would be the difference with them versus the 30 rounders?  
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Rather than gring/sand, is there a way to stretch it wider?

Does it seem to hang up in a specific area in the well (top, bottom, middle) or even front or back?  Where is the most wear on the finish in the well?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I bet you find out that it's the refinish job..  Had some serious "tight fit" areas on a Bear Coated Bushy pre-ban..   It will loosen up with use...   See if you can see where the coating is showing any wear inside the well...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top