Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 12:59:03 PM EDT
This very well could be the dumbest question in the history of reloading but....when you store your finished loads in an ammo box similar to these, do you store your bullet tips up or down?  Does it even matter when it comes to safety or effecting the seating of the bullet?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
BTW, I go tip up on all rifle except one that doesn't fit unless it's tip down.  Then when they are empty, I put them open case mouth down.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]

I mostly reload .45 acp and put them in there box bullet down.

It`s an easy way to inspect the primers that they are all seated properly.

Also there easier to grab when your in a hurry reloading mags between stages.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]
No dumb questions here, I store all pistol bullet down and rifle up
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Pistol ammo loose in a 30 cal. ammo can. Rifle ammo stacked flat in a 30 cal or 50 cal ammo can. What ammo that goes in factory boxes stored flat in the box and on a shelf. In MTM or similar plastic boxes, pistol bullets down, rifle bullets up.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Here as well.

Note, rimmed or belted cartridges have to go tip down, or you have to use the next size up (in hole size) box.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Pistol Down, Rifle up.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pistol Down, Rifle up.

Ok so that's what I was doing and seemed to work well until I started loading 338 Lapua Mag.  I got the recommended case from Frankford (511) and they just don't fit with the tips up.  Just as long as them sitting on the tips and maybe rattling around a little won't do any harm.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
My pistol reloads are all thrown into a .50 cal ammo can. I do 1-2000 at a time I don't have time to put them nose up or nose down.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't matter, but the bullet box may dictate how they go.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pistol Down, Rifle up.

this
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#11]
So in terms of just rifle loads, can we agree that there's no real harm (neck tension enough ot hold the bullet from seating further and hollow points not being deformed) when rifle cartridges are stored tips down when they don't fit tip up, tossed in a bag and bobbled around in the back of a truck for a few miles?  GTG?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Pistol down, Rifle up because its easier to grab the tips of the round(rifle) to get them out of the box since you have more space in between each one with the tips up, the case heads are so close when up that it makes it slower getting them out of the box.

Now after firing the rounds they all go back in the box case mouth down, I do this so I can see the primers of each lot of brass I pick up after shooting it, I do this especially if it's load development rounds so I can inspect each one in a row for each different load.

Pistol goes down because, well I don't know they just do,
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Pistol down, Rifle up because its easier to grab the tips of the round(rifle) to get them out of the box since you have more space in between each one with the tips up, the case heads are so close when up that it makes it slower getting them out of the box.

Now after firing the rounds they all go back in the box case mouth down, I do this so I can see the primers of each lot of brass I pick up after shooting it, I do this especially if it's load development rounds so I can inspect each one in a row for each different load.

Pistol goes down because, well I don't know they just do

Same with me for the exact same reasons.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, same here

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pistol Down, Rifle up.

same here. it's easier for me to grab .45 acp facing down and .223 facing up. i only keep ~500 rounds of each caliber in that type of case so i can grab a box or two when heading to the range (easier to keep track of how many rounds i put through my guns). the rest are kept loose in surplus ammo cans.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Well I voted up with rifle bullets in mind.  I suppose I just want the tip to be free from bouncing the weight of the cartridge even through I know It'd be fine unless I threw the box down on a rock.

Pistol I used to put bullet down.  Now I dump them in a Dillon bag with the divider in the middle for full/empty casings.  Saves time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I voted it doesn't matter.  The laws of gravity don't really effect the round if they are up or down.  

Also I store most of my .223 reloads on 10 rnd Stripper clips in 30 rnd carboard boxes inside 4 pocket bandoliers and 7 bandoliers in a 50cal can, for 840 rounds per can, with a sticker of the load data on the side.  If I am doing build up loads I load 5-10 rnds of each increment and put them in plastic bags marked with a sharpie with the load data.  These are not match style reloads though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#18]
SIDEWAYS !!!

I put the made rounds into separate ziplock baggies by loads, bullet, powder...

Then put all the smaller load baggies into a bigger freezer bag with one of those small dehumidifier things, store in a cool dry place. If it takes me a month or so before I get to the range, it's not a problem.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Depends. Pistol rounds usually go tip down, unless they are on an odd numbered reload cycle - in which case they would go tip up....provided that they are not once fired. In that case they would go tip up, but only every other one. Now, I do this only during the first six months (January thru June). After that, the tips are reversed on the alternating pattern, but not on the reload count cycle. On the even numbered reload cycle, the tips go up - there again provided they are not once fired. The only mix-up comes during a leap year, so to prevent confusion, every February that has 29 days, I reverse one half of all the bullets in the boxes except the ones loaded during even numbered years.
Its a simple process really....much easier than the rifle stuff.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pistol Down, Rifle up.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

+1
EDIT - Empties always go in with neck up. I hate cleaning dirt/crud out of those little compartments.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#23]
.223 i put in an ammo can and just toss them in there they are all the same load
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

EDIT - Empties always go in with neck up. I hate cleaning dirt/crud out of those little compartments.

I always put pistol bullet side down and rifle bullet side up.  The reason I go into this habit was because I use Moly coated bullets in my varmint rifles, so I didn't want the moly to wear off...so this translated to all of my rifle ammo sitting with the bullet up.  The reason I put pistol down is for one single reason.  I shoot ALOT of 10mm, and a little bit of .40 S&W, so, when the box is open, the LPP gives it away everytime, at a glance.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#25]
It does not matter, but I tend to store them bullet down since the case head is easier to grab.  Especially on things like .45 ACP.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I do it that way too.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#27]
If I am doing test loads, primers up for rifle and pistola so I can see the color of the primers.  After load development, pistol goes into FA boxes whichever way they get dumped in.  Rifle goes in points up 'cause I may go shooting with muy ammo and I have found the meplats worn or damaged after bouncing around in my truck after many shooting trips.

skink
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top