Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2013 1:57:04 PM EDT
So I have a question for you guys in terms of registering my lower as an SBR. There are 2 questions I need to clear up.

A few years ago I started an SBR build and had my name and current city and state engraved into the receiver. I decided to go with a regular 16" build with that receiver and never submitted any paperwork. I still want to build one and finally have the time and means to do so but I now live in a different city, state. Is this a problem or am I able to explain to the ATF that the engraving was done when I was currently living in a different location but here is my new address?

Second thing is that I now have a trust I am going to use to register the SBR. My name is engraved in the receiver, not the trust name. However the trust is between myself and my brother-in-law and both of our names are in the trust name, would this still suffice the engraving as long as my name is on it and also in the trust or does it have to say exactly what the trust says? I honestly don't see how the entire trusts name could fit anyways. Sorry if this is a confusing situation but I am just hoping to use my lower and avoid getting another one put together and engraved. Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You will need to re-engrave the lower with the applicants name, city and state as filed on the form1 or do a new lower with that info.  If your trust name is very long, think about redoing that also with a shorter name like "J & G Trust"
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It will need to be the entire legal trust name as well as the current city/state.  It doesn't matter how long the trust name is, it is still required to have the whole thing engraved on the firearm.  My trust is "Lastname Trust".  Makes it easier when it comes to engraving.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I would leave that current lower in a 16" setup and just buy a new lower to be engraved correctly.  Also, have your engraving done prior to filling out Form 1 so all the info is identical and correct.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would leave that current lower in a 16" setup and just buy a new lower to be engraved correctly.  Also, have your engraving done prior to filling out Form 1 so all the info is identical and correct.
View Quote

Engraving the gun prior to getting the stamp is what got him in this situation.  I've got multiple Forms submitted but I'm waiting because I'm not sure how long it will take to receiving them. So If I move I can update the ATF and then when the stamp arrives I can have the correct city engraved on my lower.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I was afraid this was what I was going to hear. I guess I should have done my homework, I appreciate all the help guys. Does anyone know of any company selling SBR lowers to avoid the engraving or is it not worth the trouble of trying to find one?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was afraid this was what I was going to hear. I guess I should have done my homework, I appreciate all the help guys. Does anyone know of any company selling SBR lowers to avoid the engraving or is it not worth the trouble of trying to find one?
View Quote

This doesn't make any sense.  I think you are confused.  Unless you are buying an actual manufacturers SBR (which means they build the wole rifle, not the lower), you have to build the lower yourself and get it engraved yourself.

How would a manufacturer know what to put for your Trust name, City, ST?  They can't.  Buy a virgin receiver or AR pistol, and go from their.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:40:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Yea you have to buy the whole completed SBR. Not just the receiver.

Here are some SBR Rifles for you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
There's having the lower engraved "before you submit the paperwork," and there's having it engraved "WAY before you submit the paperwork.  The LAST thing I did before sending in my forms and check was to have the lower engraved.  In most cases you could do that weeks or even months before submitting without a problem, but as the OP found, sometimes life catches up with you and changes details on you.

OP, I agree that the easiest way to go is to get another stripped lower, and when you're ready to send in the forms, have the lower engraved.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#9]
With 15+ months wait times quoted right now. Who knows how long it will take to get a stamp. We aren't talking the early days of a couple month wait. Some people like me, who are buying a house in the near future, will most likely move within that long of a time.

So just wait to get engraved.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
With 15+ months wait times quoted right now. Who knows how long it will take to get a stamp. We aren't talking the early days of a couple month wait. Some people like me, who are buying a house in the near future, will most likely move within that long of a time.

View Quote
With your situation, that's a great idea.  Just make darn sure your engraving is done right.  The reason I had mine engraved before submission was in case the engraver had a problem or made a mistake.  Nobody wants to go to the trouble of registering a lower that has their name spelled wrong...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
With your situation, that's a great idea.  Just make darn sure your engraving is done right.  The reason I had mine engraved before submission was in case the engraver had a problem or made a mistake.  Nobody wants to go to the trouble of registering a lower that has their name spelled wrong...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats why you send it to a reputable engraver.

15+ months..  Good Lord, is that what its up to now?!?!?!?
And I thought waiting 5 months for my stamps was bad
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thats why you send it to a reputable engraver.
View Quote
Even the best engraver can't know "what you mean" if your written instructions are less than perfect.  It's a good idea to communicate with your chosen engraver on placement, size, etc., before the lower is engraved.  Some will even mock-up a picture with your text/graphic in the (supposed) desired position for your approval.  But it's still up to the customer to proof-read everything before telling the engraver to push the button.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Why not have the current engraving milled out?

Then engrave elsewhere on the lower.

There's no reason to have the current engraving remain when an end-mill can fix it and a new engraving set in elsewhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top