Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2008 5:58:27 PM EST
Since I often shoot several pistols whenever I go to the range I’ve been thinking about getting an ultrasonic cleaner. Since I’m very meticulous with cleaning my firearms, I often spend a few hours cleaning all of them and I was hoping that an ultrasonic cleaner would speed up the process and also get into all those areas that conventional cleaning tools can’t really get to.
I haven’t looked at any specific ones, I figure there all pretty similar in terms of what they do, but I was wondering if anybody had experience with using them and what I should expect. I was thinking about using something like Ed’s Red as the cleaning agent so then I wouldn’t have to worry about re-oiling everything after they’ve been cleaned.
Here are a few specific things I was wondering as well:
Cleaning aluminum parts? You’re not supposed to right?
Blued and other finishes? I read something about the possibility of some finishes getting ruined.
I saw an advertiser saying that using a steel basket as opposed to a plastic one was safer for your parts? I’m not sure if there’s any truth to this…
Well if anybody could give me some more information and their experiences with them I would really appreciate it, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:07:55 PM EST
I wouldnt do it, when I ran an opical lab we used one all on kinds of stuff, and we would ruin items sometimes. It was a rule of thumb that we didn't put anything really nice in it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 9:07:27 AM EST
I do a periodic cleaning on my AR's parts with one, it does a fantastic job. I'm sure it will screw up a finish if you leave it in there long enough, given that it works by creating cavatation on the surface of anything you put in it. But then I don't worry much about cosmetics. Also watch out that you don't let any two parts touch, the vibration will quickly remove any finish in that area... as me how I know! I don't think you're supposed to use any oil based cleaners in them since they do get hot, or at least mine does. The standard blue colored cleaning fluid works great.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 10:00:50 AM EST
I believe Slip 2000 sells them and they are a gun cleaning company. All their stuff is top notch.
Top Top