Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2002 9:54:13 PM EDT
Anyone see,handle or shoot the Para-ordinance .45acp LDA double action single stack type 1911 pistol.  This looks like this would be the perfect pistol for self-defense.  Double action with every pull of the trigger.  Same weight and size of the 1911 pistol.  All metal.  Maybe something that state law enforcement might want to use.  Especially with concerns about liability issues with single action type pistols.  It also has a safety like a regular single action 1911 pistol.  Load em up with some 230 grain Federal Hydra-shocks, and your ready to go!  Maybe an excellent alternative for folks who do not like Glocks but like the concept of a double action type pistol that is not made of plastic, and has a manual safety that can be flick on and off for extra precautions. For those who love the 1911 type pistol but are not allowed single action type pistols for duty.  Whats the verdict?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
i just traded my kimber pro Carry(POS) for the new Para c6.45s 3"bbl DA great trigger best CCW i ever owned. Kimber owners dont flame me the Pro Carry i had was a piece of shit. The CDP's,
eclipses,classics etc are probably superior to
Para's full size models My P-10 and 6.45LDA have been flawless while my pro Carry spent more time at Kimber than with me
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#2]
We're looking for a few good handgunners..lol
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Para LDAs, like the HK LEM, is not real double action.  It is fake double action.  That is, single action made to look like a double action to fool police and Canadians.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A double-action 1911 is blasphemy.

-Troy

Link Posted: 4/7/2002 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
double action is a great solutions for a non-existant problem.-Someone

But I don't really have a problem with carrying a cocked locked 1911 but if I was carrying in my pocket or something like that with no holster I would want a longer pull, or it can also be a good solution for a LE officer.

I will take the normal P-12
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
double action is a great solutions for a non-existant problem.-Someone

But I don't really have a problem with carrying a cocked locked 1911 but if I was carrying in my pocket or something like that with no holster I would want a longer pull, or it can also be a good solution for a LE officer.

I will take the normal P-12

I believe it was Jeff Cooper who said that double action autos are the solution to a non-existent problem.  Cooper on Handguns - kind of dated but a good read if you can still find a copy.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Where have you guys been?

The ultimate self-defense pistol is a Glock 20.
It has both the firepower and the cartridge power to protect against both dangerous people and dangerous animals, at least on this continent. And thanks to the high cap mag ban no one else has been legaly able to try and make something better.

I love 1911's dearly but they are not the whole package. You can up them to 45 Super or 10mm, true, but you still have only 8 or 9 shots vs 15. If you build a wide frame to get 14 or 16 rounds in the 1911 style then they have a tendancy to get heavy, and if you make them out of aluminium to get the weight back down you limit how many .45 Super and full power 10mm rounds you can fire before cracking something. And if you get a Ti frame you get really expensive real fast. There are some 1911 style polymer frames out there, but they all pretty much came out after 1994, so they have no granfathered hi-cap mags, because no one thought to establish a "standard" for double-wide 1911 mags before 94'.

Its a Catch-22. However it will hopefully be solved after September 04. Cause there is no technical reason why a (relatively) light 1911 style handgun in .45Super, .460. or 10mm with a high cap mag cant be manufactured, only the Law is in the way.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]
how about a Para P-16 in .40cal that has been converted to 10mm now that would be bad ass 16+1 of 10mm.

Not everyone likes a glock, such as the dea

communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/glock/gz-gupgrade.html
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Class III Uzi on a slingbehind a big coat.
That is ultimate.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Personally, I like my HK USP45, i would like to hear someone elses opinion of USP's vs. 1911's or Glock's?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I also prefer the single action trigger of a standard 1911 over any double action. What Jeff Cooper said was, Double action is an ingenious solution to a nonexistant problem. ;)

7th
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree with haulingice, THATS DEFENSE!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a USP .40, Walther P-99 also .40, have a 226 on order and several revolvers...your best bet for self defense is a pistol you can hit something with under any circumstances...
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The single defining feature of the 1911 (and the one most often mentioned as its primary source of attractiveness) is the single-action trigger.  A double-action 1911 is blasphemy.

-Troy

My sentiments exactly...
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#16]
 Of course, we all know how current Jeff Cooper's opinions are...  anyone read Cooper's Corner lately???  The guy is positively ancient in his techniques and gun/ammo preferences.  He may be a great American, the father of practical shooting, etc., etc., but he is NOT who I would look to for current training and equipment needs in LE and self-defense.
  Some of his advice is downright laughable, but I do understand that he writes with the bias of his out-dated training and firearm knowledge.  There is often some wisdom to his rantings though, and I find him very entertaining.

Take Cooper's advice as you would your grandfather's advice on computers...with a big grain of salt. (no flame to the tech-savy elderly amongst us)

I would say that the Glock 20 handles every threat I could possibly face, with enough power and capacity to take care of things nicely.  For those of you who would prefer your 1911, that's fine---I've got an old 486 that I would like to sell you.   Flame away boys and girls---

I also agree with what treefrog449 said- the gun that you can carry on you, and can hit something HARD (my addition, in order to expel the mouse calibers) with everytime is the perfect defensive pistol.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I like my 14.45 LDA but am still reserving judgement on the trigger mechanism.  Mine locked up on my after its first box of ammo somewhere deep in the cams and widgets something went wrong.  It cost me a good deal of money to ship it off for fixin and i never did get an explanation from them.  However its an accurate shooter with a great breaking trigger.  Its not a true DA tho, you have to rack the slide to reset the trigger.

Things trouble me as a defensive weapon: the trigger mechanism looks fragile, mags that rattle when fully loaded  and the trigger reset is looong, i find myself short stroking it.

Finally i'm not sure i see what this is an answer to.  A long firm DA trigger is okay for a gun with no safety, it provides an extra margin of safety.  However the LDA trigger is light, ~6lbs on mine, so you only have a long pull to stop your car keys from shooting you in the jeans if you carry with no holster (which i don't).  I don't see the need for a long pull, a grip safety and a manual safety.  I use glocks (35 by the bed, 27 CCW) tho i got a variety of other pistols and revolvers to choose from.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#18]
the ultimate for this arena would be a DA/SA 1911.  Wish they'd make one of those!

I'll stick with my SA 1911A1 Loaded.  I like the single action trigger... it's light enough that I accidentally double tapped a few times this weekend.... and the second shot was still within 6" of the first at 7 yards!  :)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top