Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2013 5:49:13 AM EDT
Lately I have been considering the USC carbine and having it converted to the UMP. I have heard that these are now discontinued by HK and have dried up. Is this a bad idea now to get into one of these rifles? If I did get into one of these rifles would it be better to have it converted to the grease gun magazines or to accept the ump mags? I am fairly new to the HK rifles but would like to get a 45 in PCC and the HKs just look good.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything for that rifle will be expensive.  Check out the HK section here or the good people at HKPro.com will answer lots and of questions with out the childish "you suck and we hate you" bullshit you get here.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:30:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Lately I have been considering the USC carbine and having it converted to the UMP. I have heard that these are now discontinued by HK and have dried up. Is this a bad idea now to get into one of these rifles? If I did get into one of these rifles would it be better to have it converted to the grease gun magazines or to accept the ump mags? I am fairly new to the HK rifles but would like to get a 45 in PCC and the HKs just look good.
View Quote

Can't argue with that.

The USC/UMP is what got me interested in the hk "platforms".  I did some research, read the how to's, watched some videos, and decided that it wasn't in my budget to do the conversion and be able to feed it the more expensive 45 ammo.

At the same time I was purchasing a 9mm suppressor for my glock, and found a new clone builder on hkpro who was doing a number of different mp5 models for decent prices.  Since I had a suppressor on the way, was already reloading 9mm, and momentarily felt $2000 burning a hole in my bank account I went with the sp89 pistol clone.

Sorry this doesn't help answer any of your questions.
I'd still like to wish you luck on doing the conversion.  I doubt I'll ever get back around to doing one myself, but who knows...
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Im far from an HK fanboy, the matrix part 2 is what actually made me lust over an HK UMP, i just had to have it. Ok now that thats out the way, the UMP has to be the most fun gun to shoot and is a damn laser to 50 yards, eats everythin i have ever fed it including steel cased ammo and that is in both 45 and 9mm. I would never part with my ump.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:39:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a full-on UMP conversion and I don't regret it one bit. If I were you- I would snatch this up in a heart-beat:

Then start looking for a USC

Then get a hold of Tom Bostic and have him do his thing.

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Y'all are killing me with all this talk!

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Sucker Punch is awesome. Director's Cut on Blu-Ray is awesome too!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Have a 16" conversion USC/UMP which is alot of fun and worth the money spent.  Waiting on its tax stamp to wander back from WV so that I can SBR it.  At that point it will be the gun that goes to the range every time I go.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 2:14:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes the USC is rumored to be out of production as of earlier this year.  There are still a couple new models trickling into dealers.  Street price right now is around $1600-1700 for brand new.

I love my full UMP conversion.  I would not go with the grease gun conversion, beside looking funny it's just not the same if it doesn't use HK mags.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I love mine! takes HK mags....which are expensive but worth it
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I would think if you are going to put the money into the conversion, I would consider the HK mag conversion  to be much more desirable than the Grease Gun mag conversion, and make the resulting gun more valuable should you ever decide to sell it...
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would think if you are going to put the money into the conversion, I would consider the HK mag conversion  to be much more desirable than the Grease Gun mag conversion, and make the resulting gun more valuable should you ever decide to sell it...
View Quote

Generally this will be the case, pertaining to resale value.

That having been said, I sold my HK UMP grease gun conversion for $2,800! I bought my HK UMP conversion after with HDPS block for $3,000.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Does this convince you?

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn WA state and not allowing SBR's.....YET!
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 4:38:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Damn WA state and not allowing SBR's.....YET!
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_15/534541_Meeting_with_Pedersen__Hatfield_sponsoring_Senate_SBR_bill_.html
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh trust me I'm watching with extreme eager...
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#17]
This is good stuff. I've been wanting a USC/UMP for a while and was curious how the discontinuation would affect prices. Should I expect to pay $1,800 for a NIB USC in Tx or might it be a few hundred higher or lower? I've been waiting on a Larue OBR for 8 months and probably have another years worth of waiting.

Before doing the UMP conversion I was thinking of just SBR'ing it by purchasing the Shorter UMP barrel and getting a 45 cal suppressor. Would the barrel replacement be easy enough?
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Barrel removal/install is easy. It is held in place by a roll-pin.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Awesome gopherboy!

Lets say I purchase the ump barrel to drop in the USC for the time being. I would have to register the USC lower as an SBR, correct? And then when doing the UMP conversion with a new lower I would have to register that as well. So that's 2 tax stamps I'm looking at right.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Upper is the serialized on a USC/UMP.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lets say I purchase the ump barrel to drop in the USC for the time being. I would have to register the USC lower as an SBR, correct? And then when doing the UMP conversion with a new lower I would have to register that as well. So that's 2 tax stamps I'm looking at right.
View Quote

Only the upper on the USC/UMP is serialized and classified as a "firearm".  That's why you can go online and order a UMP lower shipped directly to your door with going through a FFL.

What that also means, unlike AR15's, you cannot install the UMP barrel in the upper until you have completed the SBR paperwork.  So buy the barrel, but set it aside until your upper is officially a SBR.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the upper on the USC/UMP is serialized and classified as a "firearm".  That's why you can go online and order a UMP lower shipped directly to your door with going through a FFL.

What that also means, unlike AR15's, you cannot install the UMP barrel in the upper until you have completed the SBR paperwork.  So buy the barrel, but set it aside until your upper is officially a SBR.

This is awesome news (to me)... Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So have a friendbuy the barrel, but set it aside until your upper is officially a SBR.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So have a friendbuy the barrel, but set it aside until your upper is officially a SBR.

FIFY

You can buy it. Just don't keep it with the firearm.

When I am in the middle of doing a conversion like that... I buy the item, then pay my Class III guy $10 to store it for me until the stamp clears.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

When I am in the middle of doing a conversion like that... I buy the item, then pay my Class III guy $10 to store it for me until the stamp clears.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I kept my USC in it's stock configuration. It is murder out to 50 yards and perhaps a bit more. I bought mine when it was introduced in 2000. I have had nary an issue with it since. I had considered the UMP conversion, but the gun is just as potent in it's stock form so why bother? I spent the money I saved on a couple more HK handguns. JMHO
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

No offense intended.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I kept my USC in it's stock configuration. It is murder out to 50 yards and perhaps a bit more. I bought mine when it was introduced in 2000. I have had nary an issue with it since. I had considered the UMP conversion, but the gun is just as potent in it's stock form so why bother? I spent the money I saved on a couple more HK handguns. JMHO
View Quote

I hear you, and agree that the USC carbine is definately still enjoyable in its stock form. Its just that myself (and many others) are HK junkie's and wanted a correct UMP.

I bought mine back in 2003 for $900, so I didn't have to fork out as much money as those buying them now days. If one has a stock USC and is on the fence about doing a UMP conversion, it might be good to at least by the conversion parts and keep them on standby. The UMP parts only seem to go up in price........
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No offense intended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

No offense intended.

None taken. You paying Class 3 dealer to store it is same as my thought of having a friend buy it for you, and they hang on to it until you can build your SBR *legally*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top