Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2003 6:02:41 AM EDT
Why are USA mags generally crap? Now I bought a few(learned the hard way no internet at the time) some went bad fast, some believe it or not still work pretty good. What I want to know is why are USA and other generic brands of mags made so poor?
BTW the good mags are the ones in my Beretta 92, the bad ones were for my M1A. Never did buy any AR15 mags from a generic manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:07:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Generally, avoid USA mags.  What with the USGI mags and those British SA80 mags that work like a charm for less than $20 each, saving a couple bucks on a gamble of a mag isn't worth it.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I would never buy USA AR15 mags to begin with. I just wanted to know why USA mags are made so poorly.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I can tell from dealing with the USA mags for other guns, there are two big flaws with them.  The feed lips and followers usually have the wrong geometry more often than not.  Second, the steel is so soft that even if the feed lips are OK to begin with, they will quickly bend out of shape.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Why are they still in business if most of their stuff is junk?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably because the great majority of gun owners buy them and never use them much, or they blame the gun instead of the mag.

Also, I suspect they might have a stash of "good" magazines that they will replace the crap with if someone complains.  They are supposed to have a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#6]
They also give you a free shirt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had mixed success with the off brand mags.  But I'd agree with the geometry observation for the ones that haven't worked.  Seems like you either get a lemon or a jewel, no middle ground.  Some folks figure out how to tweak them to make even the bad ones work, I've never put that much time into one. I have heard that the USA warranty is good, the replacements are always good ones for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They also give you a free shirt.

I see, so when you buy so many "targets" you get a free shirt. Sounds like a good deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top