Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2001 4:36:06 PM EDT
How rough are the conditions of the 40 dollar Turkish Mausers that are for sale out there? Especially the ones from AIM surplus as they are only 1 hour from me.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The one I have looks like crap outside but has a decent bore, slick action and shoots about 3 in. groups with surplus ammo. Not bad for the price. I bought it because I thought any gun had to be worth $50 (what I paid for mine). Surplus ammo is dirt cheap but is corrosive so immediate cleaning is required.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I have one and I am gonna rebuild it into a 7.62 X 39 sporter. I got it at a gun show and the bore was pluged with cosmoline so I could not use my bore light. Well I got the bastard home once I cleaned out the bore it looked like a sewer pipe. But it did not matter because I was going to rebarel it any way. Moral of the story is do not get one at a gun show.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are interested in Mauser rifles, check out the forums.

www.gunboards.com/forums/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Headlines&BID=6&SID=530520

OSA

Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I got one that was rough inthe wood but the metal and bore were all real good either get one of the new $25 dollar stocks or refinish the wood and shes a beaut! shoots good groups tight and ammo is cheap I've got about 1000 rounds downstairs for about 60 bucks. Its no rem 700 but its a hell of a lot of fun. Better if you can find somewhere that you can look at em rather than buying them sight unseen. some were left in the white not blued or the blueing is really worn. Most of the time you get the bayo and accesories or even ammo with em so for 70 bucks you should be able to walk away with a good one. I saw a carbine version some guy at my local range made by turning down the bolt and cutting down the barrel and trimming the wood to fit looked great ! and cheap enough to not worry about ruining.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Campy, I live in Greenville. About 25 miles north of Dayton. Greenville is in Darke County. The home of Annie Oakley herself. There are some pretty nice guns in our museum up here of hers and Buffalo Bills.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd tell you, but my local gunstore was sold out when I went to pick one up.  In the ad they described them as 'fair' condition.  The same store advertised Enfield MKIIIs with about 10% finish, weathered and chipped stocks as 'good' condition.

Ended up with an ANIB SKS for a bit more - and I'll probably end up saving the difference in ammo anyways.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I paid $40 for a "cracked-stock" Turk from Century a couple months back.  The stock showed the usual dings and scratches but wasn't cracked anywhere that I could see.  The bolt was mismatched, of course.  There was about 50% bluing left, and they threw in a bayonet with scabbard.  

Not bad at all.  I ordered it solely for the purpose of padding out my order to meet Century's $50 minimum.

I haven't shot it yet, but Turk 8mm is cheap and common if corrosive, as others have noted.

I would have no reservations about getting one from AIM, as everything I've bought from them has been graded accurately.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I will get two of them from AIM. I have made about ten purchases from them and their products and service is outstanding to some of the other competitors.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked on up and just used the action. It was in good shape, but the rest was trash. Put a 30.06 barrel I had and bought a stock from Brownells. Have less then $200 in it and it shoots fairly well. Doesn't look bad either. Have to get some pics of it and post em......
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#11]
If you can pick thru the offerings and hi-grade them you can get a great Turkish Mauser.  I got one from a local chain sporting goods store in nearly 100% condition for 40 dollars.  perfect blue, a few tiny stock dings, and a bright shiny bore.  It shoots 2.5 inches at 100 and is a great back-up deer rifle for a truck or cabin.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I got mine from SOG for 39.50, had it in my shop playing with it, and some guy picked up the bayonet and asked what I wanted for it. I didn't really want to sell it, so I said $21.50 figuring it would price it out of his range...well he took it. That left me with $18.50 in the rifle. When I finally got all the cosmoline out the bore was mint. I plan to convert it to a scout rifle, and figure if my amatuer gunsmithing attemps fail I am out under $20.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought one several months ago and after getting it cleaned up found it to be a really nice gun...3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yds..cheap ammo and only 39.95...great deal.

Nightranger  
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I have three of the Very Good condition rifles from Century.  They are really nice rifles.  They were $59 each including shipping.

I realize they are $19 more but you do get free shipping and they are in very good condition instead of just good.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
How rough are the conditions of the 40 dollar Turkish Mausers that are for sale out there? Especially the ones from AIM surplus as they are only 1 hour from me.

Link Posted: 11/14/2001 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked up a couple of them from AIM.  They both cleaned up well, and shoot great.  The first one they showed me was a POS, with what seemed like ersatz hardware, and missing the front sight. I asked if I could see a different one, and they brought out one marked 1938, and one marked 1942.  Both were in great shape(under hard dried cosmoline) I kept the '38 and gave my brother the '42. Since you live close, I assume you've dealt with them before.  I've heard complaints about them in the past, but never had any myself.  Just got a new flyer from them today in fact.
AIRBORNE!
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I would spend a few extra bucks and get a German 98k, they're worth it, I've got one made
in 43 and it shoots great, paid $75.00 for it last year thru SOG.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#17]
What would be the best company to buy one of these from? I know they are only 40 bucks, but 40 bucks is 40 bucks. Thanks guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top