Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2002 7:31:04 PM EDT
Currently I have the springfield mil-spec on layaway but after reading a couple of the recent 1911 threads I'm not so sure thats such a great idea.  What would be the next step up?  The Mil-Spec is running $450 and I dont want to spend to much more, maybe another $150.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Out of the four .45's that I have owned, the Springfield, brings back such sweet memories.  Mine was Mil Spec but I added a couple of personal touches to it.

Mine was a great pistol, not a single hicup out of it, shot everytime I pulled the trigger.  
Would love to own another some day.  Don't know what you read but your only other choices are Norinco or Colt, I think.  Your better off staying where your at.  

Good luck.

(oops forgot about Thompson-Auto Ordinance.  It's ok but the Springfield is a grade better)
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#2]
What turned you off, specifically?  I for one haven't heard many good things about SA pistols, and I'd just as soon get one that's made in America.  If you want a mil-spec gun that is very high quality and easy to upgrade, spend an extra $50 and get a Colt M1991A1.  The fit and finish are simply excellent, better than any recent Kimbers or Springfields I've seen, and it doesn't have the blocky front strap like the Springfield does.

Shoot it as it comes for a few hundred rounds, then you can decide if you want to change any of the features.  It's hard to go wrong with a new Colt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
God, I love my Colt!!!  I couldn't ask for a better 1911.  

Every Springfield I have ever shot, has also worked flawlessly, and I would have no problems buying one.  Sometimes, it's hard to pass on a good deal!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Make a few more payments & buy a Kimber.

Buy a Kimber Series I that is....have read some disconcerting threads & circumstances regarding the Series II pistols.  All new Kimbers will now be Series II so layaway now if you want a Series I ...the distributors should still have some for awhile.

Also, there is the Charles Daly.  Can get one for under $400-450 depending where you are, but it may need a little work like Wilson mags, polishing the throat & rails, better parts, etc.

Still think the Kimber is the better way to go...but thats just my opinion.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a springfield limited it is the next step up from the mil spec.and i also own a 1991 colt commander.The spring field is a little more ammo sensitve than the colt and it shoots a little low.(can easily be fixed.The colt is a little more loose and has never jammed even with all types of ammo.Overall both are good guns and am happy with both even though i shoot the colt better.(the springfield is new so im getting use to it still.)
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
What I didnt care for is the two piece barrel and the fact that springfield farmed out some work to some place in Brazil.  I would prefer something that the company has done all the work on.  If thats even possible.  Are the Colt mil-specs all that much better than the Springfields?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
btw, Kimber makes the frames for Wilson Combat...that says alot to me.

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#8]
What do the Kimber Customs run $ wise?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#10]
BTT

What do the Kimber Customs run $ wise?
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#11]
S&W makes the frame castings for kimber.

SA gets there work done down in brazil, besides looks is there any structure difference in a $50 brazilan slide from sarco and one with the SA name on it?

stay away from the Cheap chuck daly guns, they are made in the phillipines, and the fitting is poor, which is easy to see from an untrained eye.

a systema colt is a good cheap 1911, so are the norinco 1911s.

but since colt is the industry standard, ill stick with them. get a new 1991a1 that has the updated and original looking rollmarks on the slide.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Kimber Classics:  about $750.00-$850.00 depending on your location & FFL dealer.

Kimber Custom Shop:  about $900.00 & up.

They aren't cheap but you get what you pay for.

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
S&W makes the frame castings for kimber.

SA gets there work done down in brazil, besides looks is there any structure difference in a $50 brazilan slide from sarco and one with the SA name on it?

stay away from the Cheap chuck daly guns, they are made in the phillipines, and the fitting is poor, which is easy to see from an untrained eye.

a systema colt is a good cheap 1911, so are the norinco 1911s.

but since colt is the industry standard, ill stick with them. get a new 1991a1 that has the updated and original looking rollmarks on the slide.

I've met some folks who swear by their Charles Daly...even to the point they feel it shoots as well or better than a Kimber.  But they are not the same & you can easily tell the difference.

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Kimber, First rate quality and customer service. All the stuff you will have to do to a milspec is already done. You pay a little more but it is well worth the money.

I have heard good and bad about all of them. Take that stuff as rumor. About the only 1911's i won't buy are charles daley and colt. The last 2 colt's i looked at were horrible and i have heard lots of bad things about the CD's.
SA make s a good pistol as well but i still prefer the kimber.

mike
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Springfeild 1911A1 Loaded, and it's great.  Only two jams I had were because of the load (handloaded 200gr SWC... the shape of that round is prone to jam.. no more of that crap, all 230gr round nose from now on).  Fit and finish are great.  I don't think it has a two peice bbl, I'll have to look, but I'm pretty sure.  Very nice, I'm very happy with it.

Ain't nothin feels better to me than a 1911 in hand.... (except maybe womenz...)

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I also suggest the Kimber Custom Classic.  The price was $619 at my local gun store this October.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I paid right around $600 for my Kimber Custom.  It's just the basic 5" model with rubber grips.  I plan to replace the grips with some micarta or carbon fiber grips but other than that it is perfect as is.  Well, there's just a hint of creep in the trigger so I may have that looked after by a good smith, but it is very little and I'm not sure if it could be made much better and remain reliable.

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#18]
how about building one of these?
www.cruffler.com/JLD.html#Firearms
these are the south american 1911's for around 300 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Currently I have the springfield mil-spec on layaway but after reading a couple of the recent 1911 threads I'm not so sure thats such a great idea.  What would be the next step up?  The Mil-Spec is running $450 and I dont want to spend to much more, maybe another $150.  Any suggestions?

If you can afford it I would get one that has a beavertail safety. This is a nice feature and add to the comfort. The next thing I look for is a non-snag rear sight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Took my Charles Daly out to the range after 6 months....I had sent it in for work due to consistent jams & lock ups.  When I got it back 2 months later I had already purchased a Kimber Custom Classic Target & left the CD at the gun shop to sell.

Six months later, it had not sold (I think he overpriced it) & I took it back, cleaned it up, oiled it & polished it with Flitz.

Took it to the range today NOT expecting it to do well.

Well, man was I wrong!  It shot incredibly well!!  As well as my Kimber I should say!  I've got the target still to prove it to everyone....may post a picture later.

My Kimber jammed twice with the same ammo....my CD did not jam even once.

I did have an intermittent problem with it not slide locking after the last shot however.  I used reloaded & factory ammo with it....same response.

So, I switched out the slide stop with a Wilson Combat slide stop & ....problem solved.

I have to say it:  I am damn well impressed with the accuracy & reliability of this CD after the factory worked on it.  I have an Empire EFS full size model in all stainless steel.

Wow...

And the darn thing costs 1/3-1/2 of what a Kimber does.  Granted, there are tool marks all over the pistol & the fit is not nearly as nice as the Kimber.  The Kimber is just better made...but the CD stood its ground today & gave me groups as good as the Kimber at all distances of 7, 10, 15, & 25 yds.

I'm impressed.

If anyone does get a CD, don't be surprised IF you have to send it back for factory fine tuning, but it came back a tack driver.

Will post a pic in a bit....

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#22]
How much of a price increase at the ship where you do business to go from the Mil-Spec to the Loaded? Should be about $100, give or take, and I think it's worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top