Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 9:08:16 PM EDT
Hello everyone.

This is my first post here and I hope it goes well. I am 18 and looking to buy my first shotgun. I want one that will last me a long time with little trouble. Currently I am having trouble deciding whether to buy a Remington 870 20" barrel w/ rifle sights or a Benelli Super Nova 18" barrel with ghost ring sights. I have about $450 to work with and the Benelli is $429 and the Remington is about $359. I plan to use this shotgun as a deer hunting/home defense gun. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sarge133
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Well from handling both side to side the Super Nova fits me better than the 870. I am just getting confused because everyone that I talk to except a couple friends tell me to get the 870.

I like the 870 and all but I'm not completly sold on it. The Nova I am just alittle worried about something breaking and having to wait forever to get a new part. If I didn't have that problem I'd probably go out and buy the Nova today.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well from handling both side to side the Super Nova fits me better than the 870. I am just getting confused because everyone that I talk to except a couple friends tell me to get the 870.

It sounds like you're leaning more towards the Nova.  In this case I say go with the Nova and don't worry about anything... It will serve you well.  The most important thing here is that you're happy with your choice and you feel comfortable with the one you choose.

ETA:  I will add that in your situation, Google is a great tool.  Here are some links that may be helpful:

www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=42577

www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=69467

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]
870 is a classic. My Grandfather's 70's era 870 will be handed down to my son.
even if you get others, it's a great starting point.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:33:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I would get an 870, but buy a used one.  A high-gloss 870 Wingmaster 20" should cost <$200.  The older Wingmasters are 100% metal and walnut, plus they accept magazine extensions without modifications.  The 870 Express that you are probably looking at has a lot of plastic and MIM parts, low quality blueing, and the awful Remington "J-lock" safety.  

The Nova is certainly a good gun.  However, there are very few aftermarket parts and replacement barrels are super $$$$.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
deciding whether to buy a Remington 870 20" barrel w/ rifle sights or a Benelli Super Nova 18" barrel with ghost ring sights.

plan to use this shotgun as a deer hunting/home defense gun.
Sarge133

Both guns are great, I am an 870 guy but love the Nova.  Both will see you to your grave.  Frankly, I find the ghost rings a waste of time.  Not sure of your shotgun skills, but for deer, rifled sights will be better.

IF you want more accuracy later on,  there are plenty of rifled slug barrels on the market for an 870 and the 20" barrel will still be your home defense and camp barrel. Add a 28" vent rib barrel and you have three guns in one for your money.

Of course even better is a used Wingmaster 870 slugger, 1970's vintage.  Half the price, three times better gun.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:

I like the 870 and all but I'm not completly sold on it. The Nova I am just alittle worried about something breaking and having to wait forever to get a new part. If I didn't have that problem I'd probably go out and buy the Nova today.

If you have already handled both guns and you are more comfortable with the Nova.....why, are you not out buying it right now???  Both are excellent guns, but go with your gut feeling....don't listen to anyone else.  If you spend your hard earned money on something your not happy with.....well, that's just plain nuts.

Trust your gut feeling....you'll be happier in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#7]
To reiterate my previous post, buy a used 870 Wingmaster.  Sell the walnut furniture on E-gay ($70 - $100).  Then build your dream gun using this extremely high quality base.  The Benelli Nova just doesn't offer the options that the 870 does, and the 870 Express doesn't offer anywhere near the quality of a Wingmaster.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Both are excellent guns, but go with your gut feeling....don't listen to anyone else.  If you spend your hard earned money on something your not happy with.....well, that's just plain nuts.

Trust your gut feeling....you'll be happier in the long run.
This needs repeating over and over again.

Regardless of claims otherwise, firearms are highly personalized items.  There is not a "cure all" when it comes to guns...  When dealing with two firearms of equally(or close to) high quality, the buyer will definitely be best served by going with whichever one he prefers, not what someone else on a gun board prefers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top