Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2010 1:31:57 PM EDT
I basically used a 38 special load of 4.8gr of Win231 and CCI Small Pistol Magnum primers in once fired Starline 357 magnum brass.  Horrendous accuracy.  Anyone else have the same experience?

I suspect one of two issues causing accuracy problems with this load.  Either my bullets are transonic at the muzzle and are unstable, or Win 231 just doesn't do well in a light load with a magnum primer.

BTW, it's not a problem with the gun, as I tried this load in a 4" GP100 and a Rossi 92 lever action and got poor accuracy in both guns.  I also know that both guns are capable of excellent accuracy after having tried other loads in them at various times.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#1]
what bullet are you using and what standards are you measuring for accuracy?

I have been using Solo 1000 and really getting good results.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot  125 grain montana Gold JHP in .38 special with 4.8 grains of O-231 and WSP primers and mixed once fired brass. Nice accurate load for me.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#3]
We need bullet weight, bullet style, lead or jacketed. Over all length.

For light loads with fast powders (like WW-231) you can use .38 Special data in a .357 Magnum case. I'm talking about 148 grain lead wadcutters. If you are using those bullets drop your powder charge by 1.0 whole grains or more. These types of powders don't need (or want) a magnum primer. Only use them with lead  bullets in .357 Magnum.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Not knowing what bullet you've used (full wadcutter....) ..
It might have to do with the position of the powder in the case, letmesplain...if the powder is all in the front of the case, it will "act" differently then if its in the back by the primer. Try this, point the muzzle at the ground, then gently raise it to the target, ( trying to keep the powder basically in the same position), repeat the same process for all the cylinders shots. Then do the opposite for the next cylinder full, raise the muzzle, and gently lower it to the target...again trying to keep the powder in the same position with each following shot.

It may be that the case isn't full enough to give you consistent results and ignition. And have you tried it with the small pistol primer? If you did, was it as "bad"? If not I'd give it a try.

BTW, its my understanding that if "secondary explosion effect" is real, ( all sorts of opinions on that one ) you might be there.... read this..http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?s=78a3cfa0840fde406f95a93bad2c041b&t=13083..........http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&q=secondary+explosion+in+a+handgun&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=.....

I don't know if its "real" or not, but its enough, for me, to not load real lite revolver rounds.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]

For an accurate load, I like Hornady's 148 gr WC, standard primer, and 3.5 grs Clays in a 357 case.

Seated flush with end of case, Very light crimp.

Shot these targets off hand at 20 yds with a Security Six.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
what bullet are you using and what standards are you measuring for accuracy?

I have been using Solo 1000 and really getting good results.

Zero 125gr JSPs.  I consider 1 inch groups at 25 yards accurate.  This load is doing well to hold 1 inch groups at 7 yards, and I have a hard time hitting an 18 inch steel plate at 50 yards with this load, which I can ordinarily hit pretty regularly with other loads.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Also, haven't tried with standard small pistol primer yet.

It occurred to me about the position thing.  Win 231 isn't a particularly fast burning powder (not real slow either, but about middle of the road).  I might have better results with Clays or Bullseye.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I have not tried WCs in .357 cases, but my experience with quick powders and conventional 125's has shown that you need to fill the case up with slower powder.  For 125's I'm partial to WW296.  If I want a mild mid-range load I shoot lead 158 SWC's across a medium burning propellant.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]
You should try the wadcutters.

They are seated flush with the case mouth, and take up a lot of powder space.

So case fill is not a problem.

For full power loads I like a max listed charge of H-110 (same as W-296) and 125 gr JHP's also.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I basically used a 38 special load of 4.8gr of Win231 and CCI Small Pistol Magnum primers in once fired Starline 357 magnum brass.  Horrendous accuracy.  Anyone else have the same experience?
I suspect one of two issues causing accuracy problems with this load.  Either my bullets are transonic at the muzzle and are unstable, or Win 231 just doesn't do well in a light load with a magnum primer.

I think you have it right there. WW231 is a fairly fast powder. I've shot a lot of it in my .38 and my .45acp and I never use a magnum primer. They may be hotter, but with fast powders, they can be more erratic. Unless I'm loading a .357 with something like 2400 or slower, I always use a standard primer.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 4:33:13 AM EDT
[#12]
It's pretty simple really... some combinations just don't work well. You've found one. Stop using it and try something else.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's pretty simple really... some combinations just don't work well. You've found one. Stop using it and try something else.

Some words of wisdom here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

perfect answer.

this is what reloading is about.

you could change one thing, crimp, bullet, powder, etc...and find the perfect load.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top