Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2013 4:18:39 PM EDT
I live in Connecticut, in order to travel to the rest of the country i have no choice but to go through New York... unless i go North and through Canada...

I know silencers are illegal in New York, I'm sure they wouldn't look to kindly on a SBR AR15 either.   I'm assuming if the worst happened, I got pulled over with either even if they are in locked cases, i'd be fucked in every way imaginable.

So how in the hell do I safely get a class 3 item to say Virginia (a mere 5 hour drive)?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:22:52 PM EDT
I believe that as long as you are traveling non-stop through the state you should be fine. That means no gas stops, no piss breaks, etc.

18 USC § 922
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:55:52 PM EDT
Yeah welcome to my world; I can't go anywhere except the U.P. with my cans without going through a state where they are illegal.  If you're gonna do it you've just gotta pucker up and drive like you're riding dirty!

When my wife and I went to the AAC Silencer Shoot in '11, I just made sure to stay well outside major metropolitan areas in IL as best I could.  You are covered under federal law, but you seem to already know that is a hit or miss proposition as to whether or not you go to jail and pay a fortune to prove you were in the right.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:04:31 PM EDT
NY law does not allow private ownership of class three. Even though FOPA would appear to protect you I wouldn't count on it. If you stop on your way through because of a break down or a traffic stop would Fed law cover you? Likely  NY will come after you. I don't envy you OP.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:31:17 PM EDT
SHIP THEM to yourself where you are going if you want to be safe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:25:22 AM EDT
I'd want something in writing from the state of New York saying it's OK, before I'd even think about it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:52:49 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd want something in writing from the state of New York saying it's OK, before I'd even think about it.
View Quote

From the AG or Governor... personally, not a staff weenie.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:14:56 AM EDT
They will arrest you at the NY airports for having a handgun in your checked luggage so you can pretty much bet the farm that a class III weapon will land you in jail with an expensive trial to follow.  Shipping would be the best way to go.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:29:11 AM EDT
That's just frustrating.  If i want any guarantee of my stuff arriving in time, and if I want to eliminate as much risk as possible of it getting "lost" in the mail I'm stuck with expensive UPS/FedEx next day shipping.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:09:01 PM EDT
$50 shipping costs is a small price to pay IMHO
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:28:06 AM EDT
Quoted:
That's just frustrating.  If i want any guarantee of my stuff arriving in time, and if I want to eliminate as much risk as possible of it getting "lost" in the mail I'm stuck with expensive UPS/FedEx next day shipping.
View Quote

Shipping is cheap compared to a lawyer
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:33:56 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...

I wouldn't try driving through NY with any legally owned class 3 toys with an approved 5320.20 to win a million dollar bet.....
Top Top