Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2013 4:18:39 PM EDT
I live in Connecticut, in order to travel to the rest of the country i have no choice but to go through New York... unless i go North and through Canada...

I know silencers are illegal in New York, I'm sure they wouldn't look to kindly on a SBR AR15 either.   I'm assuming if the worst happened, I got pulled over with either even if they are in locked cases, i'd be fucked in every way imaginable.

So how in the hell do I safely get a class 3 item to say Virginia (a mere 5 hour drive)?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that as long as you are traveling non-stop through the state you should be fine. That means no gas stops, no piss breaks, etc.

18 USC § 922
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah welcome to my world; I can't go anywhere except the U.P. with my cans without going through a state where they are illegal.  If you're gonna do it you've just gotta pucker up and drive like you're riding dirty!

When my wife and I went to the AAC Silencer Shoot in '11, I just made sure to stay well outside major metropolitan areas in IL as best I could.  You are covered under federal law, but you seem to already know that is a hit or miss proposition as to whether or not you go to jail and pay a fortune to prove you were in the right.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
NY law does not allow private ownership of class three. Even though FOPA would appear to protect you I wouldn't count on it. If you stop on your way through because of a break down or a traffic stop would Fed law cover you? Likely  NY will come after you. I don't envy you OP.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
SHIP THEM to yourself where you are going if you want to be safe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd want something in writing from the state of New York saying it's OK, before I'd even think about it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd want something in writing from the state of New York saying it's OK, before I'd even think about it.
View Quote

From the AG or Governor... personally, not a staff weenie.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#7]
They will arrest you at the NY airports for having a handgun in your checked luggage so you can pretty much bet the farm that a class III weapon will land you in jail with an expensive trial to follow.  Shipping would be the best way to go.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#8]
That's just frustrating.  If i want any guarantee of my stuff arriving in time, and if I want to eliminate as much risk as possible of it getting "lost" in the mail I'm stuck with expensive UPS/FedEx next day shipping.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#9]
$50 shipping costs is a small price to pay IMHO
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's just frustrating.  If i want any guarantee of my stuff arriving in time, and if I want to eliminate as much risk as possible of it getting "lost" in the mail I'm stuck with expensive UPS/FedEx next day shipping.
View Quote

Shipping is cheap compared to a lawyer
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:33:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...

I wouldn't try driving through NY with any legally owned class 3 toys with an approved 5320.20 to win a million dollar bet.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top