Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2002 9:45:24 PM EDT
Anyone have any info on them? Are they preban or what? I've tried to find some information about them but all I could find were black 'plastic' orlites and thermolds. I've only seen one in a SL8-1 with an AR mag conversion, but I can't remember where I saw it.

If they do even exist, how much money do they cost?

thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen 10 rounders from DPMS

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Simunition uses clear mags for their training ammo. Don't know if the clear mags will work with live ammo... doubt it.

www.simunition.com/index.php?section_id=91
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Ram-Line used to make a semi-transparent (smoke colored) 30 round plastic AR magazines.  They do work but, IMHO, are vastly inferior to USGI.  I think they occasionally show up on e-bay.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Eagle made transparent 30 round AR magazines prior to the ban.  They worked pretty well and never failed me, but were on the fragile side.  A interesting feature is the use of constant force springs, but I'm not sure what advantage, if any, that has.  I used them at the range before I switched to USGI 20 rounders.

I've tried the Ram-Line combo mags too.  Stay VERY FAR AWAY from those.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I understand from my plastic engineer friends clear plastics lack the strength for this kind of use. Thats why you see smoke colored ones. Dont know about the Sim mags they look alot different than a thermold. What would be really nice though is a mag with a "Window" either cut out or with a clear section so that you could see how much ammo you have.

Yes I know the G36 mags are clear, but how many have you seen? They are about as thick as 2 Usgi's.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:21:43 AM EDT
[#6]
The Simunitions mags only work with 9mm Oly upper receivers. I think they are designed to only take a 9mm FX marking cartridge, but I have never tried to put a "live" round in one (I'll get back with you on that one).
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:15:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Ah, I've seen them before. Eagle Arms is the company that makes them if think.  If I find the site I'll post it.  They cost $45
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh duhh Yeah I just looked at the sim mag again and its obviously only for 9mm. The spring is too small for .223
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#10]
You probably saw one of my converted SL8-1s.
I took some pics with both Ramlines and Eagles.
I recommend these ONLY for DISPLAY.

If you want to use plastic, go Orlite or Thermold as they are a bit mroe reliable (though NOT transparent).

http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SL8/stackednblackedtn.jpg
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#11]
There ya go, thats the one I saw over at HKPro.
Sounds like they are pos. I'll prolly just stay with colt 20's and the like.

Thanks for all the info!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Simunition uses clear mags for their training ammo. Don't know if the clear mags will work with live ammo... doubt it.

It loads 9mm simFX ammo, this is the new M4 conversion.

I don't know if works with oly 9mm upper shooting regular 9mm or not, but I do know they bore out a regular 223 barrel to take the dia. of the 9mm sim rounds which is much smaller in dia then a regular 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#13]
The 9mm sims upper receivers for M16/M4/AR15 weapons are a 9mm Olympic arms upper, produced for Simunitions. The round and bore on most all of the Simuntions conversions have slightly different dimensions to keep regular 9mm ammo from being chambered, primarily as a safety precaution.

The older .38 sims rounds were shorter than normal .38s, and each box comes with .38 or .357 chamber inserts to prevent a full-sized round from being chambered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top