Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2002 2:58:50 AM EDT
Guys.

I need help with a Ruger M-77 heavy barrel,.308 rifle.   I want to use this rifle for duty, I work in the northern Arctic of Alaska.  I need something that is easy to get in and out of my patrol vehicle, that has a little more power the my Car-15. I am looking at replacing the wood factory stock with a quality synthetic stock. I would like to shorten the barrel to approximately 18 inches. I do not beleave I will ever need it to fire much over 100 yards. I will also need a good durable scope.  

Would you all put this site's brain trust to work and help me creat a new duty rifle.   I would like any thought good or bad on this project.        
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 4:55:01 AM EDT
[#1]

is this a rifle you own or one you plan to buy?  my opinion is A .308 is a little light for backwoods Alaska.  i assume you will spend part of your time on bear patrol so how bout a 45-70 lever gun or a ruger bolt gun in something like .338 win mag?

a high "quality" synthetic stock is not required if your max range is 100 yds. a "good" stock will be durable and work well.

McMillan
hogue
cabelas brand
any good gunsmith can cut the barel and recrown it.
get a leupold scope.  say a vari-XII 2-7 power.

these are my thoughts for a rapid response rifle.  if you need a sniper rifle i recomend at the lease the Mcmillan stock, leupold    
Vari-X III 3.5-10x40mm Long Range.

a real sniper rifle may be what you need check out:
Vari-X III 3.5-10x40mm Long Range M3 Illuminated Reticle
remingtom 700p in 300 Win. Mag

hope this helps.

Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#2]
That would make a neat little rifle.  Have you ever thought of turning into a Scout type setup.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#3]
If you currently own an AR15 go with a .458 SOCOM upper. You say you wont do much past 100yrds, and my .458 will hold 5 shot group ~1" at 100 yards. It will be able to handle anything in N America and uses all AR parts, a 30 round mag will hold 10 of these massive rounds. An excellent round for it is a Barnes X 300gr over 35.2 gr of Win296. With a 16" barrel it is very manuverable and would serve you perfectly for what you want. They are only $865 shipped, and I cant say enough good things about mine!!

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s your rifle, of course.  But if you’re not going to be shooting at over 100 yards, do you really need a scope?  Iron sights are simpler, cheaper and more rugged.

However, given your location and the likelihood that backup will slow to arrive (as in days!), it seems to me that having the ability to engage beyond 100 yards is desirable.

If it was me, I’d put a Leupold Var-X III 1.5-5 X  20 illuminated reticle scope on it with flip up, see through covers.  Incidentally, this scope is available with a circle and dot reticle which you might, or might not, like.

I’d include quick removable scope rings and some sort of back up iron sight system (scopes can fog up at the wrong time).  

I would avoid higher power scopes since they limit your field of view in close up situations.

If I were worried about bears, I might want a little more cartridge.  Otherwise, the .308 should be about perfect for what you want.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]

how bout a 45-70 lever gun
This would be my choice. Can't beat a good ol' Marlin. They'll take a beating and never let you down, and a 45-70'll have all the power you'll ever need up close.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Arcticbear, since this is a duty rifle does it have to remain a 308? Is your Ruger the Mark II or the earlier Model 77 and what stock does it currently have? Are leverguns acceptable? A Savage 99 or Win model 94 chambered in 358 win would be very good. BTW where are you located? Have a nice evening,Rabon...
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you currently own an AR15 go with a .458 SOCOM upper. You say you wont do much past 100yrds, and my .458 will hold 5 shot group ~1" at 100 yards. It will be able to handle anything in N America and uses all AR parts, a 30 round mag will hold 10 of these massive rounds. An excellent round for it is a Barnes X 300gr over 35.2 gr of Win296. With a 16" barrel it is very manuverable and would serve you perfectly for what you want. They are only $865 shipped, and I cant say enough good things about mine!!

Is ammo avaliable for these things, also what is the cost per box/round?  Also where can I find info on these?  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is ammo avaliable for these things, also what is the cost per box/round?  Also where can I find info on these?  Thanks

www.teppojutsu.com

Ammo is available ONLY from Cor-bon, or componenets are available for handloading.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Hello,

arcticbear
another rifle that you may want to consider is a Fal with a 16 to 18 inch barrel , you can get a good shooter for around $600.00 give or take alittle .

TS2

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top