Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2001 4:59:07 AM EDT
I've started teaching my 8 year old how to shoot. Basic 22 rifle (Crickett), and it turns out he is cross master eyed (Left eye dominant, right handed). I tried some of the uisual tricks to see how bad it was, but ended up having him shoot left-handed. He just couldn't get a sight picture with both eyes open, which might be a function of the standard peep sight on the rifle.

When trining adults in this situation I've been successful in getting them traind using their dominant handedness. Any sugfgestions for working with children?

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#1]
My daughter is the same
She has to shoot her bow lefthanded but can shoot her AR right handed with a red dot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Conventional wisdom via NRA Instructors Guide is teach him to shoot left handed.  Some people can learn to shoot cross dominant but not many.  As young as he is I would say he's better off learning to shoot as a lefty.

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I was left eye dominent, but was able to teach myself to switch to my right. My istuctor has taped shooting glasses and used eye patches to train eye dominency. It works, but takes time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top