Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 10:14:23 AM EDT
Hi guys, I also posted this in General Discussion. I want to document it's history if possible. It's a Springfield Armory model, built in 1943 ( I think ). Has anyone else tried this? Any advice on how to do this?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Start by looking up the year the receiver was made by looking up the serial number at the CSP website.  Compare this to the date stamp on the barrel.  Sometimes these match, but if they do not I doubt there is much of anything original in your rife. Other parts of the rifle have identification as well, but remember most M1's have been arsenal inspected and rebuilt one or more times over the years.   The stock is very rarely original to the receiver.

I joined Garrand Collectors Association earlier this year to learn more about the M1.  It is possible on a (rare these days) very original rifle to trace its rebuild by markings on the stock and metal, but this is beyond my ability.

Perhaps someone knows of a resource who offers this service?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input guys. I hit jouster, what a great site! Now that I dated it, I want to find out as much as I can about it. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:20:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hi guys, I also posted this in General Discussion. I want to document it's history if possible. It's a Springfield Armory model, built in 1943 ( I think ). Has anyone else tried this? Any advice on how to do this?

Springfield research service

HTH,

Renee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top