Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 9:32:57 AM EDT
Which one do you guys like better? I think it would be neat to get a surplus handgun and have been looking around. I can get these two for about the same price at www.southernohiogun.com and need some opinions. Ive also been looking at a Makarov.

I posted this in the handguns forum too, thought this might be a better place.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#1]
They are so inexpensive, buy both.  I'm planning on purchasing one of each now that I have my C&R FFL.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a CZ52, plan on getting a TT-33 sometime in future.  The Cz is more intersting from a mechanical point of view.  The Polish Tokarevs are probably the nicest version.  The recently imported Toks have a cludged up safety but on  the Polish version it's not too bad.  Gun-Nut answer: Get both!  Actually, get a Cz, a Polish, Soviet, Hungarian, Yugo (the Yugo Tok has a longer grip & mag that hold 1 more rnd than the standard) & Chi-Com Tokarev.  Plus a Hungarian Tokagypt (9x19 Tok with funky grips made for Egypt).  Could get kinda expensive.

If you post this question on some gunboards you'll come across an obnoxious internet troll ClarkMag who claims that you'll put your eye out with a CZ because he has managed to blow a few up by repeatedly stress testing one with his cludged up overmax ++P handloads.  Everywhere online that the CZ52 vs TT33 discussion comes up he barges in with his chickenlittle doom&gloom (he must Google daily on this subject).  He never seems to offer any pix of KaBoomed Cz's though..... He has actually been banned on a few boards for this behavior.  

If you're wanting something that can also do concealed carry, home defense duty then get a Makarov.
Both the Cz & Tokarev have a major problem in that nobody offers defensive ammo in 7.62x25.  7.62x25 fmj has _way_ too much penetration for self defense.  Something like 60"+ in ballistic gelatin.  Perfect if you live in a bad neighborhood with brick homes, criminals who wear kevlar or attack in a single file line of 5-6 guys.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
What can you tell me about the Star Model B handguns?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Do be careful if you plan on using milsurp ammo in the Tok, there is some 7.62x25 for sale out there that comes on strippers, this is machine gun ammo, no problem for the CZ-52, but,might be a little much for the Tok,The Czechs liked to load their military ammo hot,and this stuff is no exception,
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#5]
MadProfessor, check out my post from 4-26-03. It has pictures on a SOG CZ52 that I ordered. I am very pleased with my purchase. I took it out and put some rounds through it and was happy. Seems to hit pretty close to point of aim (though I still need to check it on a paper target). The ugly magazine refused to feed rounds but I think I can get it working when I take the time to "tweak" it. Here is a link...www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=14&t=168925

Edited cuz I kant spell
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top