Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2002 4:56:51 PM EDT
Diss, you posted that you would like me to show proof that Colt made a "Dissipator" style AR in 1965, well you, for some reason, do not have your email addy posted so I am posting here.

www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=J46957&album_id=89400&image_id=0&courtesy=1

www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=J46957&album_id=89400&image_id=1&courtesy=1

And something off topic that you dont see every day...

www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=J46957&album_id=89400&image_id=2&courtesy=1

Thanks for the fix OSA.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Colt 605As and 607s...  
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty cool.  Anyone have one of these or know how much they'd be worth?  Any idea how many were made?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Those were the developmental versions that later became the XM177 and CAR-15.  Notice that some barrels are 16" while others are 10.5" and 11" with cut-down triangular handguards and collapsing A1 type buttstocks.

The strangest AR type rifle developed by Colt was a "bare-bones" Air Force survival rifle that broke down into pieces and stowed with two 20 round magazines in a rectangular bag that was meant to be stowed in the ejection seat.  The "buttstock" simply slipped over the receiver extension and was not fixed.  The flash hider looked something like a funnel.  Very freaky.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Diss, you posted that you would like me to show proof that Colt made a "Dissipator" style AR in 1965

Great info JC......case closed.

Diss, find another soap-box
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Survey Says:

DING!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Those were the developmental versions that later became the XM177 and CAR-15.  Notice that some barrels are 16" while others are 10.5" and 11" with cut-down triangular handguards and collapsing A1 type buttstocks.

The strangest AR type rifle developed by Colt was a "bare-bones" Air Force survival rifle that broke down into pieces and stowed with two 20 round magazines in a rectangular bag that was meant to be stowed in the ejection seat.  The "buttstock" simply slipped over the receiver extension and was not fixed.  The flash hider looked something like a funnel.  Very freaky.

You mean like this:

Something else I noticed in this book, on the original ones the FA position was straight up and the Semi position is all the way back, just the opposite of where they are now days.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah!  Exactly like that!

I too remember reading about a safety selector design change.  I think that they changed the positions, because it was too easy to dislodge the safety from the safe position while crawling.  I'll have to look that up tonight.

Does your book have any pictures of Colt's belt-fed squad-auto design?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Ask and yea shall receive.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean like this:

Something else I noticed in this book, on the original ones the FA position was straight up and the Semi position is all the way back, just the opposite of where they are now days.

Colt Model 608
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Colt M-2, made from a Colt Model 02 heavy barreled rifle
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ummm....  Looong magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top