Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/6/2004 1:35:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 1:38:16 PM EST by Socrates99]
That is the question. Im looking for opinions on whether or not to refinish the stock on my M1 rifle

what I can tell about the rifle history is

Springfield M1- manufactured in Nov '43

It has been re-built, barrel serial number does not match the receiver
actually none of the numbers match
The only marking on the stock is the Circle - P on the grip, no other marks I can see, not even a re-build mark.
The stock is walnut, very dark, a little greasy, it has a few dings and gouges but over all in pretty good shape.

So my question is, do you think It would take away from the historical or monitary value if I refinished the stock?

Should I just give the stock a thorough cleaning, If so what should I use to clean it.

or should I leave the stock as is and keep it until I can date it, then buy another stock to refinish

thanks for any opinions, I hope to post some pics in a few days
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:58:52 PM EST
the # on the barrel will not match the receiver, however the date on the barrel should be within a few months
the # is a drawing #, from the blueprints used to make the rifle, all the #'s except the serial # are drawing #'s
-the barrel should have a drawing #, and something like sa-7-53
meaning springfield armory made in july 1953
if you are interested in the history i would recommend scott duff's book on the garand
or hatchers book on the garand
have fun
rc
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:03:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 3:04:23 PM EST by Socrates99]
Thanks for the Info RC

I guess what i ment was he date on the barrel does not match the month or year as the receiver manufacture date. looks like the barrel is SA ####### 7 66

I didnt realize they made barrels until 66, but then what do I know Im just a newbie to M1's
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:36:44 PM EST
springfield and winchester made replacements in the 60's
i have used fine steel wool and laquer thinner to get alot of the crud off of them
then refinished with tung oil
hope that helps
rc
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:05:07 PM EST
Post a picture of your stock, I can tell you what it is.
Top Top