Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 9:31:15 AM EDT
I am wanting to shorten the bbl on my 20ga. single shot.
Since my 12ga. sees all the action this would be basically a play toy.

My questions:
1. How do you recommend smoothing after cutting?
2. What will this do to my pattern?
3. Would an aftermarket choke be beneficial?

Thanks
CDH
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I know just enough about shotgun barrels to be dangerous, but your plan to cut the barrel shorter I believe will leave you with no taper inside, or a cylinder choke. If you planned to add a choke to your new shorter barrel, it's going to need to be bored and threaded to accept them, and the $100~150 it costs to do this makes this cost prohibitive in most cases. I'd suggest living with the new no-choke short barrel, or buying a new, shorter barrel with improved choke bore.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Also I understand that 18" is as low as I can go without NFA.
Is that measurement from bbl end to end or throat to end?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
from breach face to muzzle.  close the breach and drop a rod down the bore mark and measure and add 1/2" for good measure.

I sawed off the barrel of my Saiga 12 with a hacksaw, cleaned it up with a belt sander and used a spherical stone to brek the inner edge of the muzzle.  Be aware that if is a gas gun you may have some cycling issues due to reduced dwell time.  For my S12 i just drilled out the gas ports.  In a brief patterning test i did not see an issue with 00 at 20 yards.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#5]
TIP - don't cut it less than 16" for a FBI agent.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Done.

Too bad the pics are too blurry to see how smooth it is, using only a hacksaw and a dremel.

Got to go shoot it now.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
bump w/ pics.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]
18 inches for that FBI Agent on shotties.........16 on rifles!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top