Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2003 8:52:14 AM EDT
Every once in a wile I'm over at the Saiga shotgun boads at--  http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=idx

Anyway, there are quite a few indvduals who say that it is alright to put thumbhole stocks on saiga shotguns. Theres even a guy that says he figured the law out a few days ago, that it prefectly leagal to put the stock on the saiga, I'm still trying to figure his reasoning.

Now I know on rifles the BATF considers thumbhole stocks pistol grips and I would think the same for shotguns too, am I right? I've seemed to have lost my link to the AWB regulations, can someone point me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of -
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii)a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Thumbhole stocks are okay for the import ban, but they are still considered "a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon" for the AWB.
As the Saiga has a detachable mag, I would say that you couldn't have a thumbhole stock.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Stryfe is right.

Nope...  Thumbholes are not allowed.  The law is clear as day.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok thats what I thought, thanks. Theres actualy a guy over there that said something like he brought his converted saiga to a match and talked to the BATF about it. They sad it was ok.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thumbhole stocks were apparently good enough for other import weapons such as the NHM-91, Mak-90, Galil post-ban, HK SL-8, HK USC, and the Steyr UCR.

Why is this different if it fires 12 ga ammo?

Why cant you put a pistol grip stock like on the SAR1? The mag only holds 5 shells anyways.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Importation is not the issue in this case. The AWB is. I don't have the source, but BATFE says the thumbhole doesn't meet the req for the AWB.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok thats what I thought, thanks. Theres actualy a guy over there that said something like he brought his converted saiga to a match and talked to the BATF about it. They sad it was ok.

Does he have a letter? If not, he doesn't have proof, it's just his word against some other guy who may or may not have any authority.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope, no letter- he didn't say he had one anyway. Asked him if he was a LEO and no reponse yet. Owell I guess one of them will eventualy learn the hard way.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I was under the impression that you had to have a detachable mag plus two of the other evil features to merit it an assault weapon.  You guys are referring to 922r right?  Or is there a different unConstitutional law for semiautomatic shotguns?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope, its bull#$@% but a semi rifle can have 3 "features" where as a semi shotgun can only have 2
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
a semi-auto post ban shotgun is only allowed 1 evil feature.

+5 capacity
Pistol grip
Folding stock

Note the post ban Super 90's.  High capacity mag tube with standard stock OR 5 round mag tube with pistol grip stock.

Post ban rifles can only have 2 evil features.  Pistol grip and detachable mag are typical set up for post ban AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top